Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which is the Best CMS ?

I want to build a website consisting of forums, blogs, groups and communities, chat , news and storing of files. Which Content Management System would be best for this?
    Please post your Views , CMS Reviews and Guide me
  3. Autodidact
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Hi, prestashopic

It's really a judgment call here. I personally have experience with Joomla!, Drupal, TYPO3, and WordPress. Joomla! is considered the most popular; it's also the one I prefer using, if that means anything. If I were you, I would find out what the most popular content management systems are, then read about their pros and cons. A good dictator of popularity, relevance, and usability is the latest update. For example, if the CMS you are eyeballing has not been updated for over a year, I would be reluctant to use it.

A CMS is not the solution to all your goals. You will still need to code plenty of functionality, or use other third party applications, particularly for everything you want.
    Soldiers, from the height of these pyramids forty centuries look down upon you.
    ▪ Napoleon, on the eve of the Battle of the Pyramids
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

It depends on the server-side language / the Data Base platform you are using. It depends also on the status: Freeware (and/or Open Source) or commercial. Here's a short list I have recently made for my boss of which I consider the best CMS now. The order below has no relevance:

- FREWARE OPEN SOURCE
    Joomla (licence GPL) PHP on MySQL
    Mambo (licence GPL) PHP on MySQL
    Drupal (licence GPL) PHP on MySQL, PostgreSQL
    eZ Publish (licence GPL) PHP on MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server
    Jaws (licence GPL or LGPL) PHP on MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server, Firebird, Interbase, SQLite
    DotNetNuke (licence BSD) ASP.NET on SQL Server
    mojoPortal (licence CPL) ASP.NET on SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Firebird

- COMMERCIAL
    Jadu PHP on MySQL, MS SQL Server +.NET on SQL Server
    DotNetNuke (Professional Edition) ASP.NET on SQL Server
    SharePointServer ASP.NET on SQL Server, SQL Express

For me, I prefer Joomla or Drupal
    Last edited by KorRedDevil; September 29th, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
  7. Contributing User

Lightbulb

The 2 previous posts seem to me, but if you want some more visit this link: http://blogfreakz.com/cms/cms-for-social-networking-site/

I personally use Drupal, but am not in the world of forums/chats etc with it, as I do more website stuffs, and also Drupal is more flexible for this as it enables manipulating the CSS easier than Joomla I think, and has the modules needed to make the websites work perfecto...
  9. No Profile Picture

I like to work on wordpress ... i like it as it has lots of options .. so you should try wordpress once..
  11. No Profile Picture

my vote goes to drupal

you should start with drupal(php & mysql), which is an award winning cms and cna handle your requirements pretty well.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Users of Drupal believe that Drupal is easier for them, while users of Joomla believe that Joomla is easier for them. But the Drupal is better to develop large sites. All the CMS are useful. It just depend on your work that what you want to do.

For more information click here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltCa4L-Ml0I
    SPINX Inc. Website Design Company in Florida
    http://www.spinxwebdesignflorida.com/
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with those who say all popular CMS are great... They are, really, for some particular aims. The aim - that's what everything depends on.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hi, my choice is the Wordprees. its very easy understanding to new users. so try it your self.
  19. No Profile Picture

joomla is the best
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think Wordpress is an inferior CMS when it comes to doing all the things that you say you need, that is, forums, blogs, groups and communities, chat , news and storing of files. Of course, it is often simpler to implement than Joomla or Drupal.
  23. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

smith3, how does it increase data security? It would seem to me that it would depend on the individual CMS and the more popular ones might reduce security because of known vulnerabilities within them.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  25. No Profile Picture

OsCommerce is the easiest CMS to create and manage..

Joomla and Magento CMS are the best and we use for more secured purpose..
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

null nuke is better then them all, it include a complete empty groups.php, and you can use the basic wiki as a blog template, but it does everything alot better and faster
  29. No Profile Picture

I use Joomla and Wordpress and love both. I started using Wordpress and felt limited by it because of it's blog format for everything, mainly for creating timely content. I eventually moved to Joomla, and realized it's potential. Joomla works much better with adding users. There are 4 or 5 different levels of administrative access that can be granted. It is also more reliant on modules. I can typically add an item and move it around the page pretty easily. You can also use unedited HTML in the content which can be handy. I turned off the editor and basically paste in custom HTML and javascript.

After digging deep into Joomla, I can really appreciate how simple and easy Wordpress is. It can update easily, and needs less time to set up a good looking page. I would not disregard either.

Drupal is my next venture.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo