1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Confused with html (question about file paths)

Hello frnds,
    I new to this forum as well as to the web design world..recently i have started developing a web site...but wait iam confused with many thngs out of which first is that..do i need to create new web page for my every menu..like home , downloads , contact us...etc....if yes how can i be able to use the css file located in the main directory of my folder and not in their subfolder..)?
    Plz help me...Thnx in advance
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by cyclesen
    Hello frnds,
    I new to this forum as well as to the web design world..recently i have started developing a web site...but wait iam confused with many thngs out of which first is that..do i need to create new web page for my every menu..like home , downloads , contact us...etc....if yes how can i be able to use the css file located in the main directory of my folder and not in their subfolder..)?
    Plz help me...Thnx in advance
    Yes, you do need to create a new HTML file for each of the pages. You could just copy and paste the code and just change the content to make the whole thing easier on yourself. And for the CSS problem just put it in the main directory and put the following code in the code of your pages.

[CODE=HTML]<style type="text/css"> @import url("style.css"); </style>[/CODE]
  5. No Profile Picture

oh..yes...that worked..thnkx...will u plz suggest a detailed pdf book on web design for me
  7. No Profile Picture

oh..yes...that worked..thnkx...will u plz suggest a detailed pdf book on web design for me
    I honestly cannot because i personally haven't used any however, my teacher says that w3schools is a good site to learn HTML code from, as for the visual aspects of the website, look on Youtube, I'm sure you'll find something there.
  9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, cyclesen.

You are more likely to get help if you use proper grammar here.

I recommend you read these:
    Learn HTML and CSS: An Absolute Beginner's Guide
    http://www.htmldog.com/
    Bulletproof HTML: 37 Steps to Perfect Markup
    http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/HTML/Elements
    CSS Resources

Originally Posted by The_Python_Pro
    my teacher says that w3schools is a good site to learn HTML code from
    Please do not post links to that site here. There are better resources elsewhere. I recommend you read this: W3Fools: A W3Schools Intervention

Also I would greatly appreciate it if you showed w3fools.com to your teacher as well.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  11. No Profile Picture

ok..thnx everyone....i have started studying from these sites...and i think these sites will surely clear my concepts
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

firstly, yes you do need to create a new webpage for every page of your website. You can link them using the <a href="#"></a> tag where # is the path of the page.

As for the CSS path, define it according to its location. If it is in your main directory then directly define it, otherwise specify its complete path.

You may find websites like Mozilla Developer Network and quackit useful.

I would recommend you to begin your coding with notepad or notepad++ to first familiarize you with codings. afterthat you may start using high end coding software like dreamweaver, sublime text or NetBeans from which NetBeans is the best
    Last edited by Kravvitz; April 24th, 2013 at 05:17 AM. Reason: replaced the link to w3schools
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by shellygill
    firstly, yes you do need to create a new webpage for every page of your website. You can link them using the <a href="#"></a> tag where # is the path of the page.

As for the CSS path, define it according to its location. If it is in your main directory then directly define it, otherwise specify its complete path.

You may find websites like Mozilla Developer Network and quackit useful.

I would recommend you to begin your coding with notepad or notepad++ to first familiarize you with codings. afterthat you may start using high end coding software like dreamweaver, sublime text or NetBeans from which NetBeans is the best
    You do know that this question has been answered right? And for a beginner i would recommend using Dreamweaver, this would make it easier for them as they aren't thrown into the deep end straight away.
  17. No Profile Picture

thnku.....but is there any difference between notepad and dreamviewer...i mean both are text writers or dreamviewer has some more complex graphic user interface
  19. No Profile Picture

thnku.....but is there any difference between notepad and dreamviewer...i mean both are text writers or dreamviewer has some more complex graphic user interface
    Actually, I would prefer using Dreamweaver if I just started web developing because it help you to veiw you webpage as you develop it
  21. No Profile Picture

is it free like notepad++
  23. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Discussion of illegal activities deleted. Please respect other programmers.

Originally Posted by The_Python_Pro
    Actually, I would prefer using Dreamweaver if I just started web developing because it help you to veiw you webpage as you develop it
    How hard is it to keep a browser tab open and hit the refresh button after you make a change? WYSIWYG editors create poor code and don't always display pages like real browsers do anyway.

Of course there are differences. You may find this helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTML_editors Google can also find feature lists for you.

I mainly use PSPad with Zen Coding.
    http://www.pspad.com/
    http://code.google.com/p/zen-coding/
    http://code.google.com/p/zen-coding/...?can=2&q=PSPad

is it free like notepad++
    No. However, DreamWeaver has a free 30-day trial.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  25. No Profile Picture

thnx...that means dreamviewer isnt free

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo