1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is this correct?

Is it valid to put a <h#> tag within a <p> tag?

Just saves me going the <div> route for a part of a page.

Regards,

NM.
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Nanomech
    Is it valid to put a <h#> tag within a <p> tag?
    No. And it just doesn't make sense semantically. A paragraph may have a heading, but it hardly includes a heading as content. A paragraph is a piece of text.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. Contributing User

Div it is!

Thanks for your answer.

Kind regards,

NM.
  7. Autodidact
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Nanomech
    Div it is!

Thanks for your answer.

Kind regards,

NM.
    If the content will be inline with no further tags inside, why not use a more semantically meaningful tag like <strong> or <em>? I'm only asking because I don't know what function the <div> tag will serve in the <p> context, but if it's just to highlight important strings of text inside the paragraph, definitely go with one of the tags I suggested.
    Soldiers, from the height of these pyramids forty centuries look down upon you.
    ▪ Napoleon, on the eve of the Battle of the Pyramids
  9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Nanomech, are you trying to make an "inline heading" at the beginning of a paragraph?

P.S. Thread moved to HTML forum.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  11. Contributing User

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your responses, please allow me to clarify.

So I am creating a simple 'About the company' page.

I want 3 headings inline with each other, then under them a paragraph, maybe an image in one of them, directly underneath their corresponding headings.

I know I can use divs, and either float 2 of them and center the third, or display them inline block.

I suppose I could technically do this with the headings, then do it for the paragraphs, after clearing them.

Would it be easier to create 3 divs, position them and add the content as needed or float the headings (centering the 3rd) then clearing the paragraphs and doing the same with them??

I want it to appear like the heading it outside the 'box' so I am planning on adding a border around the paragraphs and not the div (if advised to do it this way).

Hope you understand my problem a little more as my initial post was quite brief to say the least.

Kind regards,

NM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

It doesn't make sense using a heading tag within a paragraph tag.A div acts like a division which makes it semantically correct to use a heading tag with a paragraph tag.
  15. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Sorry, I forgot to come back to this. I would most likely use <div>s instead of trying to get the elements to line up otherwise.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  17. Contributing User

Good morning Kravvitz,

I ended up going for the div route, centering the headings inside the divs, then applying the border around the paragraph underneath rather than the div to make it appear a 2 separate elements (in a way )

Kind regards,

NM.
  19. No Profile Picture

not correct.

syntax is not correct. parser will give error.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo