1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Differentiating l and 1, 0 and O

What's the best HTML font / style to effectively show l , I and 1 as different characters?

I send html emails to customers with passwords and they are always confusing lower case "L" and number "One" and Upper case "O" and number "zero".

I used to use "script" but I think that has been depricated, it no longer works.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

why don't you simply encode the raw passwords with an easy-to-read format like Hexadecimal or Douglas Crockford's Base32? This would prevent the issue of ambigious characters altogether.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

why don't you simply encode the raw passwords with an easy-to-read format like Hexadecimal or Douglas Crockford's Base32? This would prevent the issue of ambigious characters altogether.
    Sorry, I never responded to this.

Thanks for your advice.

The password generator I use randomly selects a number of characters from a string I called "alphabet" which has all of the letters and numbers in it. Stooopid me, not sure why it didn't occur to me to simply remove the "1"s, "l"s, "0"s, and "O"s, from that string. (duh).

Thanks for the tip.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo