1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Frames or no frames?

Hello.

I'm in no way a professionel web developer, but I don't lack general understanding of html programming either. Every time I search for something related to frames/iframes/getting divs to work as a frame, it's almost guaranteed the first comments is about how they're depreciated or are plain evil of sorts. It seems to be a never ending discussion.

However, I'm still wondering - is it better to build a site entirely out of divs etc, and thus having to reload the entire site on every page switch -- OR, is it better to use iframes, or maybe JS to load content into a div, thus only loading whatever content instead of the entire site on page switch?

First option (to avoid frame and frame-like solutions) would also make it extremely time consuming to just make a very small change in the menu etc. Or is there a way around that that I haven't heard of?

What do you prefer and why?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

is it better to use iframes, or maybe JS to load content into a div, thus only loading whatever content instead of the entire site on page switch?
    The problem with doing this is that it breaks everything that relies on URLs to function - direct linking, bookmarking, search engine crawling, etc.

You can unbreak it with a significant amount of JavaScript and some server side logic; but in most cases it's better to just not break it in the first place.

First option (to avoid frame and frame-like solutions) would also make it extremely time consuming to just make a very small change in the menu etc. Or is there a way around that that I haven't heard of?
    This is easily solved a small amount of server side code.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    This is easily solved a small amount of server side code.
    Could you please explain how? Or maybe show me an example?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo