Thread: Hello

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello

Hello everyone. I'm working on a web site idea right now and will probably have some questions as I go. It's in an extremely rough draft...I wouldn't even call it Alpha version yet. I've got some experience tinkering with HTML/CSS but I'm hoping to make this a professional looking site. Brushing up on things reading Sams Teach Yourself HMTL, CSS and Javascript.

Is this a bit outdated for HTML now or are you guys still including this in your web sites?

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
    If you are curious my "web site" is at www.assistmewithit.com

As of now I update it every Friday and most of the content has just been hastily thrown together just trying to get a feel.
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

this is XHTML, not HTML. Unless you have a specific reason for using XHTML and understand the implications (it's not meant for standard browsers), this is not what you want.

The doctype for HTML is

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    If you need reliable info, use the Mozilla Developer Network or the W3C specs directly. This is usually much better than the stuff people teach in books or online tutorials.
    The 6 worst sins of security How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why cant I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Hi,

this is XHTML, not HTML. Unless you have a specific reason for using XHTML and understand the implications (it's not meant for standard browsers), this is not what you want.

The doctype for HTML is

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    If you need reliable info, use the Mozilla Developer Network or the W3C specs directly. This is usually much better than the stuff people teach in books or online tutorials.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah the book says it will include that specific header in all of the examples so I will probably adjust accordingly.. I knew HTML5 had reduced the HTML doctype but wasn't sure if everyone was using it yet or not...or even if it was 100 percent supported already.
  7. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Contrary to popular belief, browsers do not care about HTML 4, HTML5 or whatever. They speak HTML with a certain set of features.

The doctype above tells the browser to process the document as HTML in standard mode. Now you can use all HTML elements and attributes your browsers supports. What exactly those are depends on the browser.
    The 6 worst sins of security How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why cant I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo