1. No Profile Picture
    David
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    I am trying to build a form on my site that when a person submits his/her e-mail address that they entered in a form field, my autoresponder will automatically send the requested information back to the e-mail address that person entered on my page.

The problem is that the autoreponder reads the "from" field, and since the from field is my web page, this will not work.

Does anyone know how I can get the e-mail address the person enters in the form field into the "from" field. I know other web pages are doing this, but I can't figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
  3. No Profile Picture
    webcoder

Hi David,

CGI programming is used to handle this type of functionality. Luckily, most servers are set up with Perl (it's free) and there are lots of free Perl CGI scripts to handle form processing on the net.

It sounds like you might already be using CGI (or else why would the 'from' address be your web page?). You might try a "mailto" action in your form. Although this is generally an amateurish way to go, it might accomplish what you need.

Do all people get sent the same info? If not, you'll also need to think about how to get the appropriate info. into the email response.

Does this stuff make sense? Need more help?

------------------
    Matthew J. Flynn
    http://webcoder.net
  5. No Profile Picture
    David
    Matthew,

Thanks for the reply. I have a program called Mailloop that will e-mail this information directly to the person after they purchase it with their credit card from my website.

The whole problem is that my programmer has never done anything like this and when I told him what I needed, he said he would do it but it would take some time because it is new to him. This means it will be expensive for me. I figured I would ask around so I can tell him what to do.

I don't really understand exactly what your saying, because I am not a programmer at the least. But the form itself is built with MS Front Page. Is there any thing I can do with Front Page to make this work?

If you know how to get that persons e-mail address in the from field when they enetr it into the form on the website, I would appreciate it if you could tell me exactly how to do it. You can e-mail me at support@newhairgrowth.com, Thanks again for your time Matthew.

Dave