1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi Everyone! I want some advice. (Live Video Streaming)

Okay, i am pretty new to HTML and have Dreamweaver 8.

I recently got a domain and have managed through trail and error to get SEO working, Adsense, Embedding Videos from Youtube and a few other simple protocols and have even managed to get a forum uploaded using mybb platforms.

I now wish to start getting a little more complex and I thought I would join this site to get information.

I want to start streaming live video for webinar - I am lecturer on astrology and want to have live video feeds ready for when my internet speed is increased next Monday.

I have had a look around, but there is either a link that needs to be off the site, or I have to pay to have what I want - I am not into that at all.

How can I do the following?

• To stream live video directly from my domain without using another server or site to embed and stream from
    • Link my webcam to this code protocol directly to my site

So I don't want to use some code from somewhere else if I don't have to, I want to use my own that will link to my cam and then stream directly from my own site.

I also want to have embedded links that people can share on other sites, like youtube has.

If this is possible and you know how to do it, I would appreciate your help - if you want to, you can add me on skype : john.brownsill and go through it piece by piece.

Thanks,

John Brownsill
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Streaming live video is a very complicated and difficult thing to do. I can almost guarantee you that it will be cheaper for you to pay for a streaming service than to try to set up something yourself.

If you're not willing to use a third party for it, then you at least need to be operating your own server. Streaming video yourself requires installing some type of video streaming server, which you can't do unless you have a dedicated server or high-end VPS. Additionally, the server requirements for running a video streaming server are very high.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Streaming live video is a very complicated and difficult thing to do. I can almost guarantee you that it will be cheaper for you to pay for a streaming service than to try to set up something yourself.

If you're not willing to use a third party for it, then you at least need to be operating your own server. Streaming video yourself requires installing some type of video streaming server, which you can't do unless you have a dedicated server or high-end VPS. Additionally, the server requirements for running a video streaming server are very high.
    Thanks for replying!

Right - so I need a server of my own.

Will a virtual server work?
  7. Sarcky

As long as it's a high-end VPS, yes. Companies like SoftLayer [where I was a senior dev] have virtual servers and "bare" servers which come with some free bandwidth at first.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    As long as it's a high-end VPS, yes. Companies like SoftLayer [where I was a senior dev] have virtual servers and "bare" servers which come with some free bandwidth at first.
    Well I normally use one.com - are you familiar with their VS?

What parameters do I have to look for to know I have a high end VPS?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Here's one option for a media streaming server platform: http://www.wowza.com/
    Their recommended minimum system requirements are:
    As a minimum we recommend a quad core system with at least 1 GB of RAM per core. To get the most throughput out of Wowza Media Server software we suggest you use RAID 0 or RAID 10 configurations with at least 2 or more disks in the array. Depending upon your application and load, you may need more or less horsepower.
    You will also want at least a 100Mbps connection on the server.

Here's another one: http://www.red5.org/
    For a development, staging or low traffic server they recommend:
    X86-compatible CPU (Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz or better, Intel Duo Core 2, PentiumD) \\ 1 GB Available Memory \\ 100MB or 1GB Ethernet card
    For a higher traffic server they recommend:
    Dual-core / Quad Core (Intel XEON 2Ghz and above, Opteron 2Ghz and above) \\ 2 - 4 GB Available memory or above \\ 1GB Ethernet Card with big pipe network
    Here's a third option: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobe-...er-family.html
    They their mnimum/recommended hardware requirements are:
    Intel® Pentium® 4 3.2GHz processor (dual Intel Xeon® processors recommended)
    2GB of RAM (4GB recommended)
    1Gb Ethernet card
    A server like this will probably run you $100 - $200 / month unmanaged.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Here's one option for a media streaming server platform: http://www.wowza.com/
    Their recommended minimum system requirements are:

You will also want at least a 100Mbps connection on the server.

Here's another one: http://www.red5.org/
    For a development, staging or low traffic server they recommend:

For a higher traffic server they recommend:

Here's a third option: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobe-...er-family.html
    They their mnimum/recommended hardware requirements are:

A server like this will probably run you $100 - $200 / month unmanaged.
    Can I stream webinars using these methods?

I have a vps Plesk 10 Domain Licenses with the specs you said.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo