1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

HTML help: How to record form data in text file

HI all,

I wanna create user form using HTML where the inputs by user can be directly recorded into text file. If I fill out my name in User form then it should be filled automatically in particular text file, Just to clarify; it's offline page.
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Okay. What have you done so far?
    Hey 'requinix', thx for playing. I am not a pro. I have created my website which will be used in office. Ppl will access this website on shared network using path I provide. Now, I want to add this user form thing into it and to arrange the data in better way, I want inputs in text file.

I don't have any idea where to start from. Some say, PHP, Python is only solution for this. Can you help me get started.
  7. Did you steal it?

What they said is (basically) true: you need some software running on the server to do this. PHP, Python, Perl, ASP.NET... Anything like that will work.
    Meanwhile you can write the HTML form without needing to know those details.

So
    1. Can you choose a server-side language? PHP and Python are probably the easiest to do as they're simple to install and don't have any steep learning curves.
    2. Write that form. Like I said you don't need to worry about what happens on the server yet - the HTML form is the same for everything.
  9. No Profile Picture

Sure thing. Like you said, I will create user form and get back to you.

However hard I try, I am still worried about server thing
    I won't have access to server as page is offline as well as it's for office use.
  11. Did you steal it?

You're not using a web server yet? So people are accessing the "website" using file:// URLs?
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    You're not using a web server yet? So people are accessing the "website" using file:// URLs?
    Exactly. That's the problem Is there any solution for this?
  15. Did you steal it?

1. Install a web server. Apache is the easiest to get a hold of.
    2. Install a server-side language. Take a quick look at PHP and Python and choose which you want.
    3. Host your existing stuff with the web server and tell people to go to http://your-computer-name instead of file://your-computer-name.
    4. When that's set up you'll be in the same situation you are now but ready to start on the problem of saving to files.
  17. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

To add to what requinix said, two easy ways to get set up is to install XAMPP or WAMP. (At this point, if the package installer gives you the option, you may want to skip the install of MySQL, PHPMyAdmin, and SQLBuddy.)

Comments on this post

• requinix agrees : I keep forgetting about those... Certainly easier than a manual installation
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  19. No Profile Picture

Thx for helping guys

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo