1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

HTML5 Must-haves?

I was wondering if anyone could help by posting suggestions for the essential layout for a professional HTML5 page. I just graduated recently, and it doesn't really take standards to get a passing grade in most web development classes, just functionality.

In essence, if I'm developing a professional-standard HTML5 website from scratch, how do I start? What should I include with security, portability, and longevity in mind?

So far, my template is as such:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html lang="en">
    <head>
       <meta charset="utf-8" />
       <meta name="author" content="" />
       <meta name="description" content="" />
       <meta name="keywords" content="" />

<title>The Title</title>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/stylesheet.css" />
    </head>
    <body>
       <header>
          <!-- HEADER DIVS -->
       </header>
       <nav>
          <!-- NAV DIVS -->
       </nav>
       <!-- WRAPPER DIVS -->
          <!-- ARTICLE TAGS -->
    </body>
    </html>
    Am I missing anything that would be considered poor technique if not included?
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's difficult to comment on only a skeleton like that. There are so many things that only come up when you create full pages.

The meta keywords element isn't very useful anymore, because it was abused so much in the past.

I don't use it myself, but you might find HTML5 Boilerplate helpful.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    It's difficult to comment on only a skeleton like that. There are so many things that only come up when you create full pages.

The meta keywords element isn't very useful anymore, because it was abused so much in the past.

I don't use it myself, but you might find HTML5 Boilerplate helpful.
    Thanks for the reply, I suppose I probably didn't word my question very well. For a little background, I learned to write pages in high school and for the longest time my pages just looked like so

Code:
    <html>
    <head>
       <title>Page Title</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>
    Always without any meta-tags or specifications or doctypes. So now that I'm done with college and beginning to work on professional-level sites I just want to make sure I'm getting the basics right.

So no keywords, but would you say that generally I can begin coding with that type of structure? I see some with things like bots which I don't fully understand but I'm not sure are entirely needed.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo