1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

HTML5 Video streaming question

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this site and I have been having a problem recently that I'm hoping somebody out there can help me with.

I am about to go live with my new html5 website and I have been unable to solve a problem with EXTREMELY slow streaming video. I'm using Chrome so i'm assuming it's the WebM version of the vid i'm looking at, but even after relentless compression and trying to get the file size down (currently 20,000kb) the video still takes forever to stream. It makes my site very unpleasant to visit now, and I really want to solve this problem before I go live.
    Does anybody out there have some advice on how to get video on an html5 site to stream without interruption and without too much loss in quality? Encoding advice?

Thanks so much guys!
    Jack
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I would look at the upload and downlaod on your connection and your servers. I don't know if you've got a hosting company or are doing it yourself.

I host my own sites and have a dedicated 100Mb connection. I setup a test page with some HTML 5 vids and they ranged from full quality 1080p 300mb video to a 5mb compression and other than initial buffer i've had no problems with streaming.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo