Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

HTML5 Worth for a beginner?

Hi everyone,

Im starting to make my first website, I still am learning HTML, I would like to whether I should start with HTML5 or not?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You don't have to go out of your way to learn HTML 5. From the perspective of a beginner there are almost no differences. The biggest differences are some new functionality for handled very specific things, like showing videos.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Hmm ok, thanks for the information, im gonna keep learning the usual HTML
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It will be good to learn HTML 5 as well.
  9. No Profile Picture

I see, so im gonna learn the basics and then im going for HTML5
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I should warn you that many of the new features in HTML5 pose significant backwards compatibility challenges. For example, IE versions before 9 and Firefox versions before 3 need some help to even be able to recognize HTML5 elements (and the styles applied to them).
    How to get HTML5 working in IE and Firefox 2
    html5 and Firefox2
    Supporting New Elements in Firefox 2
    Last edited by Kravvitz; September 27th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As said by the others, learn HTML 4.01 (the old version). HTML5 just adds a few things--but doesn't change the foundation that was created in HTML 4.01.

On top of that, the new things that were added by HTML5 are not compatible with older browsers--since not all browsers are HTML5 compatible. The biggest culprit of this is Internet Explorer 8 and its predecessors, which combined have about 10% of the current browser market share.

Because of this, it is recommended that HTML5 improvements NOT be used for the core function of your web site; they should be only used for "enhancing" your site after you've established its functionality (i.e. Your site needs to still work fine in a browser that doesn't support HTML5 -- your site will just look cooler in a site that supports HTML5). There's a term for this, it's "Progressive Enhancement."

Because HTML5, at this point, can/should only be used for progressive enhancement, it is certainly not as critical that you learn it as a first step.

That being said, I recommend that you learn HTML 4.01 first, then Google something along the lines of "Cool things to do with HTML5" and learn it in bits and pieces from there. Or buy a book on HTML5. Who knows, by that time IE 8 and older may have died out (crosses fingers).

Best of luck!
  15. No Profile Picture

Thank you everyone, now that i know im in the right way i will keep going and later, will learn HTML5.
  17. For POny!

Originally Posted by Alocs
    Thank you everyone, now that i know im in the right way i will keep going and later, will learn HTML5.
    Same with css3, just treat them like extra slick possibilities for very modern browsers. So don't use it for fundamental stuff on your site unless you have some stuff in place to make it backwards compatible.

A nice example (in css3) for instance is border-radius. If you have a modern browser its shows nice rounded corners. If you have an old browser it just ignores it. Just make your websites good for all browsers and make em awesome more the modern ones
    Have fun!
  19. No Profile Picture

While you surely require being conscious of HTML5 and the new essentials it brings, I'd say it's much more significant to focus on learning CSS3 which adds so many new controls for presentation, particularly as it relates to mobile devices. As you do, you'll also need to keep an eye on browser compatibility issues.
  21. No Profile Picture

Yes, You Can use it because HTML5 is easy to use for beginners.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Start with basic oh html and then go on with html 5.
  25. No Profile Picture

I would start by learning HTML 4.01.

Then - learning the difference between that and HTML 5 should only take a few hours.
  27. No Profile Picture

what are the advantages of HTML5

what are the advantages of making website in HTML5
  29. No Profile Picture

Go with xhtml 1.0 strict it is not hard if you use a validator.

HTML5 is a load of bollocks and anyone who says it isnt obviously has a ****e load of javisrcipt and software to make it work.

XHTML 1.0 strict will teach you structure, while HTML5 wont teach you much at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo