March 16th, 2000, 12:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone on this board could figure this problem out that has been stumping my company.
We are using includes to help develop our web pages. The strange thing is that the server only processes a portion of the web page, and then just stops when we use these includes.
Removing the include where the server stops processing fixes this problem, but obviously the content in the removed include is lost.
We are implenting as many as 10 includes per page, and also at times using includes within includes. Is there a limit to the number of includes you may use?
The html code within each of the includes has been checked, and is correct, so that is not the problem.
I hope someone can help our situation, because it is just plain frustrating.
Thanks in advance
March 16th, 2000, 08:04 PM
It is very stressing for a webserver to process as many as ten includes on a single page, which some of those having includes of their own. The server may just be over worked. Try cutting down on the number of includes first.
March 17th, 2000, 11:24 PM
yes, If you are using Microsoft, the server will blow up and crash in about 20 visits. IF not it will slow down alot.
March 20th, 2000, 01:21 AM
Try using PHP, which has a much more efficient way of including files. (Amazingly enough, with PHP you can even include a file from another server, even one outside of your network.)
April 4th, 2000, 04:25 PM
I ran into a similar problem with a site I recently finished for a customer - and it wasn't limited to includes. Sometimes a page would just refuse to completely load out to the browser. Stopping invariably in the middle of the page.
I discovered (after much labored research) that the problem was due to an obscure (read little known) issue with Notepad and IIS. Notepad doesn't save the long file name header... which IIS looks at to determine if a page should be reloaded and sent out to the user. So, because notepad is so OLD, CRUSTY, and BUGGY... IIS refused to see some changes... and then had some sort of checksum confusion when it compared files... and WHAMO... partial file sent.
Or at least that's my estimation of the problem. I could be wrong... and/or you may be using different software. I ended up dumping notepad in favor of Edit+ (http://www.editplus.com).
And that's my 2cents...
[This message has been edited by ZogJr (edited April 04, 2000).]
April 14th, 2000, 01:48 AM
I have set up many sites using SSI and
have never found a limit to the number
of includes that I could use. If the includes
that aren't loading are in other includes,
the problem could be in how you're enabling
includes on the server (you didn't mention
which server, or how you're enabling SSI).
For example, if a file has to have the
.shtml extension to be parsed, and you're
naming your fragment files to be included
.htmlf (or something other than .shtml) then
they won't be parsed, and their includes
won't be included!
Hope this helps.