1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

How do I go about introducing a new concept?

I am wondering as to how do I go about introducing a new concept that deals with websites.
    For example, how did the concept robots.txt became so popular. I do know what robots.txt does but I am not sure as to how it became an accepted convention. The existence of it makes a lot of sense and it serves a real purpose.
    Thanks,
    Evan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

In general, one company starts doing it, other companies see that and copy it, eventually everyone is doing it. It's a pretty slow process.

Some areas of computing have standards organizations, which are usually groups of the major companies or organizations involved in that industry (companies on the scale of Google, Microsoft, IBM, Intel, etc.). They meet, propose new concepts (frequently called RFC's or request for comment), then vote on and publish new specifications every once in a while. This is also a slow process as getting people to agree on a specification is difficult.

Realistically an individual would probably need to work for one of those companies in order for their concept to have a serious chance of becoming a globally accepted standard.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; September 3rd, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo