1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is Marquee Now Out Dated

Hi, i need to set some text scrolling across the top of my web page. I am currently using the <marquee> tag to achieve this, however i find it very jittery / jagedy...

I understand that the <marquee> tag has been around for years now... is there a better system to used... would it be better to use a small js script for this as it would probably scroll the text smoother... if so does anyone have a good script to use, thanks in advance for your help...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

It looks like marquee tag has been deprecated for quite sometime now.
    I found this LINK that may help you.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

its been outdated for a long time now

I do have a good one I am using, you can see it in action here

the code you need to make this work is below

the class needs to be around the text you want to animate
    PHP Code:
    <div class="autoScroller-container" style="overflow:auto;height:your choice">
        <
    div id="your-choice">
        </
    div>
    </
    div
    then add this code below everything else except put it right above your ending body tag and change the id to the one you use to hold the text you want to animate

PHP Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
          $(
    window).load(function(){autoScroller('your-id')});

</script> 
    next add these files to your head
    PHP Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://troop557.vacau.com/src/javascript/jquery-1.3.2.min.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="http://troop557.vacau.com/src/javascript/jquery.timers.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="http://troop557.vacau.com/src/javascript/jquery.autoScroller.js"></script> 
  7. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally Posted by oo7ml
    Hi, i need to set some text scrolling across the top of my web page. I am currently using the <marquee> tag to achieve this, however i find it very jittery / jagedy...

I understand that the <marquee> tag has been around for years now... is there a better system to used... would it be better to use a small js script for this as it would probably scroll the text smoother... if so does anyone have a good script to use, thanks in advance for your help...
    The <marquee> tag was a non-standard tag invented by Microsoft and was IE specific originally (Netscape didn't support it, neither did opera and I think it was only supported after IE 4.01 or something like that), which is why I never used it. Javascript was the cross-platform way to go if you wanted scrolling text.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

The marquee element is obsolete.

Don, that script is 10 years old! Here's one that's better.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cool, thanks Kravvitz... i thought it would be easy to find a really up to date script for this but can't find many online... the script you provided is good but it is a little jagedy too... i see you are available for hire... would you be interested in working on a smoother scroll...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

These look good:

http://codecanyon.net/item/scrolling-tweet-ticker/103951?sso?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=scottlangendyk

http://codecanyon.net/item/jquery-marquee-animation-plugin/236431?sso?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=Fusiondevs
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Don, that script is 10 years old!
    lol...that doesn't surprise me. I basically just posted the first google result that was on-topic.
    I've used a few of the examples from that site in the past with positive results, so, I figured it'd work fine in this case , too.
  17. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Originally Posted by oo7ml
    These look good:

http://codecanyon.net/item/scrolling-tweet-ticker/103951?sso?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=scottlangendyk

http://codecanyon.net/item/jquery-marquee-animation-plugin/236431?sso?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=Fusiondevs
    The first one only slows down onmouseover and the second doesn't react at all. In my opinion (and for WCAG, accessibility, compliance), there must be a way to completely stop the animation. It would be even better if there was something to click to stop the animation in addition to moving the mouse cursor over it. I don't like text scrollers like that, so thanks for the offer, but I must decline. Besides, one can't do much to control how smooth the animation is, that really depends on the web browser and the device it's running on.

Originally Posted by DonR
    lol...that doesn't surprise me. I basically just posted the first google result that was on-topic.
    I've used a few of the examples from that site in the past with positive results, so, I figured it'd work fine in this case , too.
    DynamicDrive is a mixed bag. They have a few decent scripts, but they also have a lot of very old scripts too.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes!! Its outdated.... And please if possible try to avoid that code.
    Last edited by micheal.burns1; September 24th, 2012 at 04:58 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture

The marquee tag has never been valid. Itís been outdated for a long time.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo