1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I want to make a NBA scoreboard...

https://erikberg(dot)com/nba/standings

I've been linked to the above link but really have no clue where to start. Is it possible to make a set of standings that update automatically.

How hard is this to code?
  3. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Anything is possible!

Difficulty of course is a relative thing, for someone who's never written anything like this before, well, it's gonna be tough ...

What experience level would you say you were at?
    What (programming) languages do you know?

How often should the data be refreshed; should it go get the live data when the visitor lands or should there be a background job running every x minutes/hours/days?

Where does it get the data from? Database? API? XML feed?

Hopefully, that should at least point you in the right direction
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by badger_fruit
    Anything is possible!

Difficulty of course is a relative thing, for someone who's never written anything like this before, well, it's gonna be tough ...

What experience level would you say you were at?
    What (programming) languages do you know?

How often should the data be refreshed; should it go get the live data when the visitor lands or should there be a background job running every x minutes/hours/days?

Where does it get the data from? Database? API? XML feed?

Hopefully, that should at least point you in the right direction
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm really familiar with html/css but that is about it. It gets the data from an API as far as I know.

I was thinking that the data should just be cached every 12 hours.
  7. No Profile Picture

Actually it looks like it's a XML feed:
    https://erikberg(dot)com/nba/standings.xml
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You'll need to use some back-end programming, like PHP or Python or something else, to actually get and store the details. That's probably the hardest part, but shouldn't be too difficult if you try a few examples that you can find.

The biggest thing to realise that this is a whole lot more then a standard HTML site. You're going to find that starting off is a very big learning curve - but stick with it because you'll learn what you need to know, and you'll expand that to do more.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    You'll need to use some back-end programming, like PHP or Python or something else, to actually get and store the details. That's probably the hardest part, but shouldn't be too difficult if you try a few examples that you can find.

The biggest thing to realise that this is a whole lot more then a standard HTML site. You're going to find that starting off is a very big learning curve - but stick with it because you'll learn what you need to know, and you'll expand that to do more.
    I'm most definitely willing to stick it out, I'm always willing to learn. I just don't know where exactly to start.

It would be great if someone could post me some tutorials to follow and I'll go from there.

13. Confused badger

It's great to hear you're willing to learn!
    The first thing you're going to need is the manual!
    http://www.php.net

Does your server already support PHP?
    If you create a new file on it with the content:

PHP Code:
    <?php
     phpinfo
    ();
    ?>
    If you then visit that page in a browser, it'll either display a bunch of PHP environment info, or, you will just see the code above ... if you get the PHP info then you're able to start making PHP code straight away, otherwise, get in touch with the server admin and get them to install PHP for you (or search google for your specific server instructions).

Anyway, once you're up and running, the PHP forums here are an excellent resource for help, other then that, literally just google "php for beginners" and follow some tutorials

There's a list on this forum somewhere of some good "starter" projects which you can check out and get your teeth into!
    "For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function and they would sweep it away"
    - George Orwell, 1984
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Also, to add to badger_fruit's post, that file that is created with the
    Code:
    <?php  phpinfo();  ?>
    code will need to be saved with the .php file extension to "activate" PHP parsing of the file....and will need to be ran thru the webserver, not directly, such as, like this: http://<webserver_address>/phpinfo_file.php ; not like this: file://path/to/the/phpinfo_file.php
  17. Confused badger

ah, yes, thanks DomR for adding those important points
    - George Orwell, 1984

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo