1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Prevent half of page refresh after clicking link?

Hi all,

I'm not a professional web designer by any means, just an interested amateur, so please bear with me

I have a site I'm designing in Joomla for my small town community radio station. I want to basically divide it into two divs to start with--a top one and a bottom one. The top one will contain menu links, a live webcam feed, and a streaming audio feed. The bottom div will contain the "targets" of the clicked menu links (the text content of the website)

What I'm trying to figure out is this: Is there a way to set this up so that if a visitor clicks on a link in the top div, that the bottom div's content changes, but the top div doesn't reload/refresh? In fact once the user first visits the site, the top div should NEVER reload/refresh no matter what links on our site they click.

The reason I want it set this way is, if I don't do this, then the webcam feed and streaming audio will keep restarting every time they click a new link.

Any ideas as to how I can prevent those feeds from restarting every time a link is clicked? Any help would be much appreciated
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yes it is possible, but it's not easy to do well and requires you to rely on either frames or JavaScript.

My recommendation would be to have your live feed open in a new window.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo