1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well what do you guys think the best way for learning html is? Through a book? Through the internet? Through a program? Thanks for the help!

Oh yeah.. could you also tell me where I should go to get whatever you suggest. thanks again!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Start with a very simple book like HTML in Easy Steps by Chris Russell. Use a text editor like Notepad to create your HTML files. Run them in your browser. And avoid page-building programs like FrontPage, Dreamweaver etc., that will overcomplicate matters and in many cases change the code you've written!
    www.htmlhelp.com

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A counsel: learn the basics: meaning and options of every tag, but don't waste your time trying to build complex pages with a text editor; programs like Frontpage or Dreamweaver maybe add some unnecessary code, but are the most quickly way to create a page.
    Nowadays, there is more interesting learn Javascript and DHTML.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Must strongly disagree with you ArgraJoca - Once you go down the path of Dreamweaver or frontpage or the like - you are stuck there! - I have seen the code- waded through it - lost hours (ok 20 mins/whatever) - .

A good text editor with search and replace facilities and the ability to have many windows open at once will knock the socks off of either of the two above.+ you learn HTML & Javascript/PHP whatever - much much faster and basically become competent more quickly than if you perhaps let a program do all the work for you.

And to be honest I personally find codebuilders quite confusing -

Nutcase - one has to get down and dirty with a text editor at some stage - may as well do it now!

And the internet will be your best friend - there are 1000's of resources out there to help you along and get you started http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/ is a good starting point - good luck

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Don't want to make controversy; In fact I started in HTML with Notepad (before the existence of all this WYSIWYG programs), and I'm agree that you can't become subjected to this programs; you allways have to be curious and investigate (and have a good reference book).

But if developing web pages is your profession, you can't waste ten minutes creating complex nested tables, or applying styles, when you can do it in a less than a minute without checking for errors every time.