1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Read and Save to Text File activeX WarninG!

I'm trying to use ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") to save and read from a text file that is on a local computer. But everytime i use it i get a warning:

"...might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page...do you want to allow..."

Is there anyway for that warning to show? Or is there another way to read and save to a text file in javascript that wont give me a warning? thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Nope. Javascript can't access the local filesystem at all. Using the ActiveX object is a security hazard, so the browser warns the user. Imagine for example, if any web page was allowed to do anything to the filesystem without first asking the user...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

see...the thing is...its actually for a javascript based game that people download and play on their computers...so it would only be modifying the file on a local computer and not go through any web servers..

would there be an applet or maybe flash plug in that would allow me to do the text file manipulation and interact with the javascript game without showing any warningS?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo