1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Result: Passed, 1 warning(s)

Hello;

Why do I get this warning?

Thanks
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Did you forget that you've asked that before?

The HTML5 specification is still under development and so the validator might not have been updated to fully and correctly check against it. Using the HTML5 doctype is a good thing, but if you're not using any of the new elements or attributes, you might want to manually select a different doctype for the validator to check against.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Did you forget that you've asked that before?

The HTML5 specification is still under development and so the validator might not have been updated to fully and correctly check against it. Using the HTML5 doctype is a good thing, but if you're not using any of the new elements or attributes, you might want to manually select a different doctype for the validator to check against.
    Oh yes thank you Kraviz. I probably should have continued on that thread

Anyways, would this be enough:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <!--Then the rest of the code-->
    Thank you
  7. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

I think you still haven't understood this warning. There isn't anything you have to change. The validator is simply telling you: This document is interpreted as HTML5. We, the W3C, cannot guarantee for the results to be correct. It doesn't say that your document is wrong or anything.

The actual question is: What do you want? HTML5? HTML4? XHTML? Judging from your tag style, you seem to want XHTML. But that's just a guess, it might also be that you want HTML5 with XHTML style tags. Only you know that.

If this is supposed to be HTML5, everything is OK. Just ignore the warning (but be aware that HTML5 is a work in progress with different support in different browsers). If the document is supposed to be XHTML, you need to look up the right doctype for XHTML (probably 1.0). If you change the doctype to XHTML, you'll get several errors, because some of the element combinations and attributes are not allowed in XHTML.

Again: First decide what you want. The new features of HTML5? The rather strict rules of XHTML? Then, depending on your decision, either ignore the warning. Or change the doctype and fix the errors.

If you're not sure what you want, read up on the differences between the (X)HTML variants and maybe open a new thread "Should I use HTML or XHTML? Which version?". But forget about this stupid warning and don't fumble with the doctype just to get rid of it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo