1. No Profile Picture
    Grand puba
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Do spiders take style sheets into account when crawling pages?

Hi there,

just wondering if anyone know's if spiders take style sheets into account when crawling a website.

If I have a bunch of links at the bottom of my site that doesnt fit in with the design so I don't want people to see them, but I want the spider to follow them as they go to the rest of my site. Can I put a "visibility" style on them to hide them from view? Or will the spider see that it's invisible and not follow them?

cheers
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Unfortunately the world of Spiders is getting very advanced. Not only will the spiders see that they are hidden from view, but would also see them if they happen to be the same color as the background. Now what I mean by this is as follows. A bunch of hidden links, or any same as the background color will be reported on and will actually count against you. Nasty innit? Originally people used to put a huge bunch of links in a page that meant nothing to do with the page so that they were seen as links outwith the site (a good thing in search engine spiders eyes). Of course these didn't look pretty so people decided to hide them or do the color thing, spiders are wised up to it now though.

If you link to other parts of your site from one page, then to other parts from the resulting page, then spiders will eventually get there. If you want to be clever then link the images but use a style sheet to hide the cursor and a javascript mouseover to not show the URL, people wont notice the link, but spiders will!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grand puba

damn those nasty spiders!

what if I put them in a layer way off screen?
  7. Web Monkey

I refuse to be from anywhere, I am one with the internet
    I think what binky was trying to say was.. if the HTML for a link/text/anything is viewable the spider will see it.

---Tim
    Quick, think of something geeky to say before they catch on!
    Mozilla is your friend!
    Web Site

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo