Thread: SSI and JS?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi,

I am trying to use JS to include some files in a cgi script. I have tried both:

<script language="javascript">
    <!--
    document.write("http://www.domain.com/nav_side_main_home.inc");
    // -->
    </script>

and

<script language="javascript">
    <!--
    document.write("<!--#include virtual="../nav_side_main_home.inc" -->");
    // -->
    </script>

In both cases all that prints is the URL and not the file.

Can anyone offer assistance?

Art
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Of course, in the first instance Javascript is just dealing with a text string. the only way to get java to write the CONTENTS of the file there is to make 1 or more variables out of the whole contents of the include file, and then have javascript write out those variables--it can be done (in IE, at least), but what a messy solution.

In the second section I believe the server will not parse the include as long as it is inside the <script> tags or the parentheses. But even so, again you cannot just do document.write and spew regular HTML (with carriage returns, etc...) in there and expect Javascript to deal with it.

I misunderstand why you even need javascript at all, though. Shouldn't a standard include to the trick, if you just want HTML from another file written inside this file? Please explain your needs a little more clearly.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you for your help.

What I am trying to do is the following.

I have a cgi search script. Results are yielded by mereging data with an html template. I can design the template however I like because it is just html. When results are shown on the screen, the url is search.cgi. Because it is a cgi my ssi's do not work. I need a way to structure the ssi's within a cgi.

As a side note I have also placed a .htacess file in my dir and tried the following:

AddHandler cgi-script .html
    AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html

The cgi works but still no ssi.

Thank you for any help you can lend.

Art

[This message has been edited by artfold (edited March 20, 2000).]
  7. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Well, my expertise is with PHP and ASP, so I don't know how much help I can be, but in my PHP and ASP, for example, there is a built-in include method: include(), that let's me include any HTML I want to be output along with the server-generated code. If you are using Perl, I am sure there is a way. It might be a little more complicated, like using a command to open the file and read the contents into a variable, and then printf that variable into the perl output.

It really should be done with your server-side code, is my point.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo