1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Where is the best place to store images?

Hey;

Where is the best place to keep the media?

For example this

I can keep them on Ontraport (it's like S3), but it takes some time to load.

Or I can save them on my own site which seems to be faster but eats data.

Thoughts?

Thanks
  3. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Or you can put them on actual S3 with CloudFront (or another good CDN) which is faster but eats some money.

There's pros and cons to each. Choose based on how important it is to you to have the good parts and how important it is to you to avoid the bad parts.

Separately, did you notice how the image quality for your example isn't that good? It's all pixelated.
    Last edited by requinix; September 3rd, 2017 at 02:26 AM.
  5. A Change of Season
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Hello;

Yes, I noticed

I have quite a few pages with lots of media ( this for example).

What do you think about this style of doing it? Here's the results I am getting.

I thought I load chunks at a time maybe?

Would it be a good way to NOT get visitors waiting?

Will it even work (I mean with Jquery delay show)?

Also what's the best way to compress?
  7. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

That image earlier is pixelated because you're using PNG with a palette. That means a maximum of 256 colors available, so if that isn't enough then the image software has to make... adjustments.
    Photos are generally best handled with JPEGs. Use that format instead.

I don't know how that site rates "compress images", but images are already compressed. Adding more compression likely won't do anything - it's CSS and Javascript where that really shines.

Waiting time is about file size. CSS 3 and media queries are good for serving the smallest (in dimensions and thus in filesize) image that is large enough for display, but for the photos on that nauseating page it's not an issue.

Oh, wow, speaking of file sizes... If you're going to display an image as (to pick one example) 590x314 then don't send a 2.0MB 2448x1326px image. It's crazy. Resize the image to the actual size you want to use. It will make a huge difference on that page.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I would choose Photobucket. Your free Photobucket account is unlimited in terms of storage size, but there are limits on bandwidth allowed per month (10GB).
    Also, I work with the service [removed] and the guys from there advised ZipCloud as a personal cloud storage provider.
    Last edited by requinix; September 19th, 2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spammy

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo