#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Question Problem with strange characters appearing instead of Apostrophe


    Hey All,

    My problem is a bit difficult to search for (as the characters are a bit weird) so forgive me if this has been answered before.

    The problem I'm having is that anytime an Apostrophe is used, I get a bunch of weird characters. Here's an example:

    This is one of the reasons that attributed to ELK’s moderate success.
    The bit highlighted in bold is the problem area. Instead of an apostrophe, I'm getting '’' a similar problem occurs when a pound sign is used, which I assume has something to do with non-standard characters (i.e. non alpha-numeric).

    I've tried to changing the encoding type in the <head> section of the HTML but to no avail.

    Does anyone have any idea what's happening?

    TIA,

    P.S. There are no fancy scripts or anything like that, not even stylesheets this is just a very simple website, using the original template photoshop drew up when I sliced it.
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,940
    Rep Power
    3117
    Not sure what your HTML looks like, but make sure you are using the correct escape characters for what you are doing.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi jzd, thanks for your reply.

    Could you tell me what you mean by the correct escape characters? I added text to the HTML pages using Dreamweaver, I assumed that since it is a WYSIWYG editor I can type as I would in a Word Document or something similar?
  6. #4
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,940
    Rep Power
    3117
    Look at the HTML for that word, is it correct? What does it have there?
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    The HTML for that word is exactly as it is on the page (i.e. the characters are there instead of the apostrophe).

    Also, if I download the page from my webserver (via ftp) then open it up in Dreamweaver CS3, it comes out perfectly, apostrophes and all.
  10. #6
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,940
    Rep Power
    3117
    Originally Posted by Xeijin
    The HTML for that word is exactly as it is on the page (i.e. the characters are there instead of the apostrophe).

    Also, if I download the page from my webserver (via ftp) then open it up in Dreamweaver CS3, it comes out perfectly, apostrophes and all.
    I did a quick google search and found it might have something to do with copying data from Word into Dreamweaver. (In that case adjust some of the setting for the smart quotes are off).

    Might also be an encoding issue, try this one:

    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
  12. #7
  13. |<.+#f@#+.&.|
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    norway
    Posts
    3,009
    Rep Power
    1224
    The meta-tag only works if there isn't set any charset on the server, the meta-tag wouldn't overrule server-settings. So you need to ensure that the document you have uses the same charset as is set on the server.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html#h-5.2.2

    Alternative you can change the charset on the server.
    If you are on a apache-server you can set charset with .htaccess.
    http://www.w3.org/International/ques...access-charset

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo