1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello.
    I am having trouble with the variety of the "normal" text size between Mac and PC. Is there any uniform way of setting the size to a particular number? I know of CSS, and the property of setting the text-size, but I am worried about the uncompatability, especially with older versions. How can I set a text size (other than using a graphic)??

Thanks! http://www.datera.com
  3. No Profile Picture

webmonkey has a good letter on this topic...
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/35/index2a.html
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks... That was very helpful.

I am still worried about the older browsers, though. Those that do not suport stylesheets. I'm guessing that there is no absolute way to determine a specific text height with those browsers.

Thank you
    yoshi http://www.datera.com
  7. No Profile Picture

<quote>
    I am still worried about the older browsers, though. Those that do not suport stylesheets. I'm guessing that there is no absolute way to determine a specific text height with those browsers.
    <end quote>

Basically, it's one or the other. But with most web sites running at least 90% 4.0, and 5.0 browsers are out on both platforms, it's pretty much time to start writing css.

Check out http://thedogpile.com. I need to add yet another style sheet for IE5 for the mac (because it compensates for PC style information by setting the point size up 2 pts).

The only thing which I need to improve on is accessability. If you look at how IE has implemented CSS1, you'll discover that using pt *forces* the browser to use that font size. I heard that using em (relative) can alleviate this somewhat. I don't know. Webmonkey just barfed something in my mailbox about it the other day, but I haven't read it yet. =)

bio
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

s'no help but I decided to stop worring about pre-V4 browsers a long time ago (ok 6 months or so) its hard enough keeping up with the different V4.* stuff - & the new Netscape will be even more fun.
    I suppose it depends who you are developing for and who you expect your visitors to be - But I now set V4 as the lowest common denominator -maybe I'm wrong??? but I at least have the decency to sniff for older browsers and give the surfers a page telling them where to get NS or IE etc - If they can not afford a free browser then I can not help them!
    Plus the more you get comfy with CSS and use it day in day out the better - now Netscape has decided CSS is cool we can use it to its full potential.

I will shut up now.

Simon

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL
  11. No Profile Picture

Rather than sniffing for browser versions, I just write my page in such a way that it's useable on any browser that understands most of HTML. Granted, it'll be uglier for Mosaic and Netscape 1.0 users, but at least they can still view it, and supporting old browsers doesn't interfere much with my ability to make my page come out decently on newer browsers, so why not?
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Why Not? - without getting into DHTML etc yoshi's origional problem was to make his site look the same in all browsers - CSS is a good step towards this if you are happy that your surfers get slightly different impressions on the same theme then this is fine , but many a fine looking page with no gizmos or whizbangs can be ruined by a V2 browser running in 640x480.

The point I was making was that V4 browsers and NS6 to come are all free - I can not see 1 reason for the average surfer not to have one (AOL excluded) why would your surfers be using V1 2 or even V3 browsers? - if they are educate them!

If your pages are mostly text and a few pictures - you are right there is no need to even test or modify for different browsers, but if you do you can insure that the data is displayed to them in exactly the way you intend. To some developers myself and perhaps yoshi? included - that title being 1 or 2 points bigger in Netscape/Whatever can drive you beserk - and getting form inputs the same size aaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

Simon

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL