1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Web address showing incorrectly in browser.

Hi,

My website address is not showing properly in my web browser.

How it should show:
    WEBSITE.COM/HOMEPAGE
    WEBSITE.COM/CONTACTUS
    WEBSITE.COM/ABOUTUS

However, its showing WEBSITE.COM on all pages and not showing its current webpage address.

Take a look here: ajstudio.co.uk

Thanks.
  3. Jealous Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You're using frames. Only the URL of top frame will show in the address bar.
  5. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Welcome to DevShed Forums, AJStudios.

It's been a long time since I've seen it discussed, but I think that's called "domain masking". You've found out one of the many problems related to it.

Comments on this post

• requinix agrees
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much for your replies .

Frames, I have been told this by a few people?

I'm not sure if this will change anything, but if you go onto my actual "original web address", it shows up perfectly fine.

Original:
    ajstudios.orgfree.com

Domain Name:
    ajstudio.co.uk

Thanks again,
    AJS.
  9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Yes, we already found that out. So you signed up for "subdomain hosting" at www.freewebhostingarea.com? Perhaps you should try signing up for "domain hosting" instead.

If you're asking what frames are, in this context, they are an outdated technology for making a web page out of several (2 to 4 were common) smaller pages.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  11. No Profile Picture

I do apologise, but I am very unclear here what I need to do to correct this problem?

Is it do to with my HTML Script? or is it do to with my hosting provider?

Where do I go from here.. ?
  13. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Frames are an HTML4 feature, but the frame page used in this manner would be controlled by the host, not you. So, yes, you should try contacting your web host.

15. No Profile Picture

Thanks for that, I will contact them, if no luck, I will change my provider, possibly a paid one.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Hi

Yes, this is happening because of frames, you have created separate pages but you are calling them under same page. I would suggest you not to use frames. Using frames lowers the speed of your website and even search engines do not prefer websites that are built in frames.
  19. Old Fart

If you decide on a new host look at http://dreamhost.com/. The prices are reasonable and the service is excellent.
  21. No Profile Picture

By any chance, could someone help me on how to remove frames? or is the stage I am at too late to do this?

I didn't know I was even working with frames .

Im puzzled to why it is working with my original hosting link - ajstudio.orgfree.com and not my domain link - www.ajstudio.co.uk.
  23. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

I will contact them, if no luck, I will change my provider, possibly a paid one.
    So what did your host say about it?

25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    So what did your host say about it?
    I didn't contact them, I decided to just try out a good few different hosting companies and see if anything changed.

Nothing changed, I tried a good 10 different hosting sites. Its showing each page differently on my hosting free web address, but not my domain name link.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

As Kravvitz mentioned earlier, you need to use the "free domain hosting" feature @ http://www.freewebhostingarea.com/ and not the "free subdomain hosting" feature.

By using the subdomain feature, you are using a host-redirect which uses the frames.
    If you use the "free domain feature" and setup the proper DNS for your ajstudio.co.uk domain, all issues should be cleared up.
  29. No Profile Picture

Yeah friend , i think it is called "domain masking" , where your site's domain not visible and instead of it will show like these pages

Comments on this post

• DonR agrees : yes, domain masking, that is the term I was looking for..thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo