1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is it wise/possible to send a pre-written a large email using href=mailto?

Hi all,

I know it's possible to write a few lines to include in an email using the following:

<a href="mailto:astark1@unl.edu?body=The message's first paragraph.%0A%0aSecond paragraph.%0A%0AThird Paragraph.">

...but is it correct / wise to use it?

I have more than three lines, but don't know if the above has limits or not, or if it the best way to go about doing it.

any help would be great.

Kind regards
    MG
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Possible... Yes. Advisable... No.

Even if you put this text in there, there's no guarantee that's what you'll get. People edit email text. Anyone can change what you've got there and anyone can make it whatever they want.

What exactly are you hoping to get from this? There's got to be more to the story then just this bit.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Well, a person in marketing wants people to be able to send an email to a certain person, so has prepared some copy to make it nice and simple. As such, all they have to do is click a 'send email' button and everything is already there, ready to go.

I'm not the best when it comes to Javascript, php etc. so i thought i'd pursue the html route.

ps. Our site uses Joomla - just thought id mention that.

What would you recommend?

Kind regards
    MG
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'd look at setting up a HTML form and using that instead. You can set up a textarea element and have the base text loaded into that and let users edit that as much as they like and then click 'send'. The advantages of this is that you know what's being sent, you can record everything that's sent and you don't have to rely on other peoples PC's doing what they are meant to do.
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Also, the "body" attribute isn't standard, and is often unsupported. I know it didn't work for me when my boss asked me to do this, but that was back in...2005-ish.

Also, I don't have an email client on this machine, my mom doesn't have one on hers, my brother doesn't have one on his, etc. People use gmail, not outlook. Your mailto links will annoy me and make my mom think she has a virus. Use a real form.

Comments on this post

• Kravvitz agrees
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo