1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking for Help

Hi, I wanted to make a documentation for a program I am writing so I set out to learn XHTML. I want to know how to make distinct sections on a page. The sections need to be able to scroll independently of each other. I think this might be able to be done using margins and z-index but I don't know how. If I need to learn some JavaScript then I can do that, I just need a point in the right direction (or some code XD). Thanks!
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Without knowing just how you want it to look, it's a bit harder to work out. But...

If you want to have areas of the page that cover each other and can be moved around or resized to cover/uncover other areas, then you'll need to look at z-index and JavaScript. This is not exactly a simple task.

However if you are wanting what I think that you are, and needing to have something like (as an example) 4 boxes on the page that have their own content and the content in each of the boxes can scroll inside the box, it's a lot easier. You can do that by setting up <div> tags as containers and use CSS to set overflow: auto; so that the contents scroll in each area.
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes, the second one :)

Yay, thanks for the response. Pretty much something exactly like: (I can't post URLs yet, google "java se 6 documentation api" and its the first one) But I want a strip at the top for a title which I know how to do (I just don't know if it would be hard to add after the fact), and the top left box doesn't even need to scroll. Could you please give me a small sample that uses your ideas, something to work with?
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Ahh.... Well, yes that's pretty much right. The biggest difference is the page that you're talking about uses frames to get that "effect". As much as frames are not a great way of doing things, in a situation like that, they work as good as they ever will and I think that's what they were meant for.

You can go either way with it. The only advantage that frames has over <divs> is that frames let you reload only one frame, and not the whole page, where using a standard non-framed layout won't let you do that so you'll be re-loading the whole page every time. That might suit you, so I'll eave it up to you to decide.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hmm

It probably wont be a problem to reload the whole page each time, it is just text and it shouldn't have bad lag or anything.
  11. No Profile Picture

Could you please give me a small example of code that shows your method working so I could mess around and experiment with it?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo