1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to get Frames without using Frames?

Hey ya'll!

I assume this is pretty simple stuff as I know almost nothing about HTML, but I need to design something where a navigation menu is static in relation to the content.

For instance: If there is a video running at the menu bar, it will always stay that way no matter what the user does on the content area (which features another website with links, Java Applets and whatnot).

I'm pretty sure Frames is what I'm looking for, but I keep hearing it is all devil and stuff, so I'm thinking maybe HTML5 sports something useful here.

Compatibility is not an issue as the ONLY browser used to access this resource will be Firefox.

Thank you!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe you can use Ajax to dynamically reload the "content" part of your page. Otherwise your video would be reloaded as well and probably start from the beginning again.

5. No Profile Picture
    buildmyweb.org

this is a tricky one... that id love to know a solution to. all ive ever known for maintaining video or audio is frame-type stuff. or flash :/
  7. No Profile Picture

Nice thread started I guess and was just wondering if anyone could give the solution or some other trick to create frames without actually using these frames tags
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You can't have frames without using frame tags.

If you want a persistent frame, then you need to use a standard frameset. If you don't need it to be consistent then you can use an iframe.

If neither of these suit you, then TomasRiker was right by suggesting AJAX to change the page content without interrupting the frames content. That would leave you with a single page and your uses have to have JavaScript enabled.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo