1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Quick Newbie Questions

So, as the title says, I'm a newcomer to the world of web development. As recommended by others, I'm starting with HTML and CSS. My current resource is a book named The Complete Idiot's Guide to HTML5 and CSS3, by Joe Kraynak. Reading through thus far, it seems like a great resource. I only have one question.

Would it be better to decide what I want my website to do before reading a ton of features about HTML and CSS that I might not even incorporate at this point in my development? I mean sure, in the future I may want to utilize most everything HTML and CSS has to offer, but at this point I don't think my site will require all of the features available (which, of course, no website truly incorporates everything) but you get my point.

So to put the question shortly, is it better to start on my website, then once I get to a point where I decide that I want my website to do something specific, I can just reference that particular feature in my book/perusing the interwebs?

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    buildmyweb.org
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

i prefer to read an intro book to a new topic first. helps me to have a big-picture perspective. then i start tinkering with snippets and when i get stuck on something, i refer back to the book or websearch new material.

i imagine you should just go with whatever your learning preference is.
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It all depends on how you learn. Some people learn best by not reading anything and jumping in until they get stuck then looking for the answer. Some people learn best by reading everything they can and then putting that into practice where they need to. Most people are somewhere in the middle of the two.

I'd suggest that a book like you have is a good starting point, but it will be limited in what it can offer. This isn't a problem because pretty much all resources have some limits and you have to expect that and look somewhere else for the answer as well.

Personally, I like to read up on a few of the basics then get into doing it. I get stuck (a lot) and that's when I go and try to find out what I need to do to get around the problems that I'm facing. I do that a few times and things stick.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo