1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Insert video into website

I am using Dreamweaver.

I click on INSERT - MEDIA - FLASH

I choose an flv file which is in the same folder as the text I am trying to insert a video into.

I get this message - "To make a root-relative path, your document should be saved under a local site.

Save your document under a known site, or add a new site using Site>NewSite. A 'file://' path will be used for now.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY MEAN BY 'root-relative path' or a 'local site' or a 'known site.'
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It means that your Flash file is not in the same folder as the other files in your website, so the program can't give it a relative URL because there's no way to reference it through a "standard" link.

The fix for this is to copy the flash file into your sites folder structure somewhere, and then embed that file.
  5. No Profile Picture

The two files are in a folder on my computer - intended for our website but not yet uploaded.

One file is an html file, the other an flv file.

They are both right next to each other in the folder, and are the only two files in that folder.
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Then that means that you either haven't set up a site in Dreamweaver yet, or your HTML file is outside of that sites folder.

If you are going to keep the Flash file in the same folder as the HTML file, the easy way to do it is to edit the source code of the HTML file to only leave the Flash file name in the references to it. So, instead of having something like:
    Code:
    f:/path/to/file/flash.swf
    You would change that to:
    Code:
    flash.swf
    If I remember Flash embeding, there's normally two spots where it is, but double check because there could be more (I haven't had to do this for a while).
  9. No Profile Picture

i try again

i got dreamweaver to insert something - but - this is the code i got -

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="(URL address blocked)=6,0,29,0" width="32" height="32">
    <param name="movie" value="file:///C|/My%20Documents/Timeline/Videos/20Fruit.flv">
    <param name="quality" value="high">
    <embed src="file:///C|/My%20Documents/Timeline/Videos/20Fruit.flv" quality="high" pluginspage="(URL address blocked)" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="32" height="32"></embed></object>
    </span></i></strong></p>

but on the design sheet all i see is a small square with a diagonal "f".
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Look at my last reply, and read it closely again. See the part where I talked about the difference in the file names? That's what you still need to do.
    Code:
    file:///C|/My%20Documents/Timeline/Videos/20Fruit.flv
    Should be
    Code:
    20Fruit.flv
    Of course assuming that the Flash file is in the same folder as your HTML file. Also remember that there's more then one place where this is, so look for all of them.

Comments on this post

• jamespayne agrees
  13. No Profile Picture

change attempt

so I tried this -

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="(URL address blocked)=6,0,29,0" width="32" height="32">
    <param name="movie" value="20Fruit.flv">
    <embed src="file:///C|/My%20Documents/Timeline/Videos/20Fruit.flv" quality="high" pluginspage="(URL address blocked)" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="32" height="32"></embed></object>
    </span></i></strong></p>

then i tried this -
    <param name="movie" value="20Fruit.flv">
    <embed src="20Fruit.flv" quality="high" pluginspage="(URL address blocked)" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="32" height="32"></embed></object>

Neither worked.
  15. Code Monkey V. 0.9

My suggestion now would be to create a new site in Dreamweaver, set the folder for that to where you're storing the files. Then when you can see the HTML and SWF file in the same directory in your file browser area try to insert it again.

Remember - there's a setting for 'RElative to:' in the insert window, so make sure that the value for the is set to 'Document'.

Apart from that you could always try a JavaScript library like swfobject that can sort out the tags for you when you get it set up.
  17. No Profile Picture

again and again

i tried setting up a new small file with dreamweaver and the same thing happened again.

swfobject is beyond my ability. too many big words and acronyms.

do you have any recommendation as to a special mini program that just addresses the task of adding video to html? there seem to be a number of them advertised on the internet with free trials available before purchase. the few i noticed seem to be for streaming video - i don't know if that is what i am looking for or not.
  19. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Note: I didn't say set up a new file. I said set up a new site and move your HTML file and your swf file into that sites root folder. More info from Adobe ....

The reason that the files are being linked the way they are is that Dreamweaver will work on a fill physical file path for ANY fie that is set up outside of a site/project that has been set up. So, you need to do a bit more set up before you start trying to create more files and move things around because unless you do it the way that Dreamweaver expects you will always end up with the same result which obviously doesn't work.

One other issue that I've only just noticed is that you are trying to add a .flv file to the site, and that's not normally how it works. In Flash you should export the file to a .swf file. The difference is the .flv file is your source movie with all of the high-res video and full data, and the .swf file is the optimised file ready to go on your site. I haven't had to use flash for a long time so I don't remember the exact menu options to do this, but it should be pretty easy to find.
  21. No Profile Picture

swf file

ok - converting the flv file to swf was the problem.

now i have got the video on my html file and i think it is just a matter of detailing the code.

i am using a program called AVS4YOU.

do you have any problem with that program, or would you suggest some other way to go?
  23. No Profile Picture

Smile ecommerce

Hello Rgrstvr!!
    Please help me.I want create own site video in this site.please guide me.How can i do?
    Thanks for this...........:-)
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    Then that means that you either haven't set up a site in Dreamweaver yet, or your HTML file is outside of that sites folder.

If you are going to keep the Flash file in the same folder as the HTML file, the easy way to do it is to edit the source code of the HTML file to only leave the Flash file name in the references to it. So, instead of having something like:
    Code:
    f:/path/to/file/flash.swf
    You would change that to:
    Code:
    flash.swf
    If I remember Flash embeding, there's normally two spots where it is, but double check because there could be more (I haven't had to do this for a while).
    Yeah, It is absolutely correct information .....
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

As mentioned do not specify the whole file path (omit the C:\.....) data and since they are in the same relative folder, just put the file name.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo