1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb A Short Discussion on HTML Encryption

Hello everyone,

I used an HTML encryption tool at iWebtool.com. Even though I know it can most likely be easily decoded, I still think it's something I'd like to do. The thing that I see now is that my original file size of my home page was 22KB. After encryption, the new file size is 62KB. Yikes! Is that too large, and is there another way to encrypt the file? ...or I'd like to hear more about why encryption is a wasted effort.

-Tyler
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What about this HTML Encrypter application? Obviously, if I use that other iWebtool that changes it to JavaScript escapes, the entire page won't work with JS disabled.
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I don't understand encrypting HTML code. Are you that paranoid that someone will find your extra-special code that you have to hide it? Do you think that you're HTML code is going to be "stolen" by everyone to create their own copy sites of yours?

As you said yourself...
    Even though I know it can most likely be easily decoded
    There's no "most likely" about that. It's 100% possible. If it wasn't possible then the browser couldn't do it.

On top of that, the tool that you're using will kill any SEO efforts that you're doing. Why? Look at the output. It "encrypts" the entire page into a JavaScript function call! Congratulations... You've just broken your site for anyone that uses screen readers, has JavaScript disabled, or has a text-based browser. On top of that you've just hidden your entire site from Googles indexing bots.

I have never heard one believable reason for encrypting HTML. If you have one I'd sure like to hear it.

Comments on this post

• etidd agrees
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, since this relates to an internet marketing campaign, I'd like to hide the comments in the HTML that says what network an offer/product comes from. I will just remove the comments and create a spreadsheet to keep track of my offers and their respective networks.

For this project, SEO is not a big concern, and I was aware that encryption has a negative effect on page indexing/crawler bots.

Your reply helps very much, though. Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo