1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Advice on a new project

Hello all, hope this message finds you well.

I am new to programming and I have begun planning a new project. The project is simply this, I will send diagnostic info from a Linux machine to a server. The server will then display the data in a webpage. I have many Linux machines that will transmit the data on a daily basis; therefore, I am wanting to create a one stop shop so to speak so I can simply go to the specific URL and see the same data I would otherwise have to go into each individual machine.

The problem that I am running into is trying to figure out the best way to get the data to the server and in what format i.e. txt, csv, or a TCP/UDP datagram.

I am not asking anyone to solve this problem for me because I do not believe I will learn that way. I am simply asking if someone would be willing to steer me in the right direction and allow me to pick their brain for a bit. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

I realize this room is for HTML and if I am posting in the wrong room I apologize. I was torn between the Linux forum and this one and since I will ultimately be using HTML, I chose here.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I answered this [here].
  5. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, Brian Kent.

Please don't start threads on the same topic in multiple forums. Please choose the forum you feel is best. (A moderator can always move your thread later, if needed.)

Most web pages are made up of code from more languages than just HTML, so just because you want to make a web page, does not mean your question is primarily about HTML.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi Brian,

Webpages us not only HTML but also have some sort of back end technology associated with them, whether it be ASP.NET or PHP.

Secondly, depending on various factors. i'd also consider going with a Database table structure as well as considering the Write To File option

Some pro's of using this would be the data is more manageable in this format and can be queried against.

Depending on how many machines you have on your network, I would create a table for each machine and have a date/time stamp against each record.

Thanks.
    Sam

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo