1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Doctype Declaration

Hello,
    I've just finished my first website and I'd like to validate it, however, I don't know the 'Doctype declaration'
    I've tried lots of standard ones given by W3C and other helpful HTML websites, however none of them is right.
    I don't think you can help me if I don't leave my source code to have a look floatingpenguin dot co dot uk.
    I'm not advertising, I'm asking for help.

Thanks a lot,
    Inma
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

the doctype depends on the (X)HTML dialect you've chosen. So what is this supposed to be? HTML 4? HTML5? XHTML?

The problem is that your document isn't valid in any dialect. Judging from the obsolete style attributes (width, align etc.), this looks like some really old HTML 4 variant. However, then you wouldn't have self closing tags like in <link />, and you wouldn't leave out the required type in the script element etc.

This looks like a wild mixture of different languages from different eras. Did you write this yourself, or was it generated by some WYSIWYG editor?
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers? There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello Jacques1,
    Thank you for your quick reply.
    Referring to my website, I've been given a template to follow and I've done my best to make my website.
    It would be really helpful if you tell me what can I do now, what would be the best method to clean the mess without destroying it all. If the website were yours what would you do?

Thank you for your priceless help.
    Inma

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo