1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

General question: Is there any free website for quick learning HTML?

Hi every one,Is there any free website for quick learning HTML.
  3. No Profile Picture

Google CodeCademy, best website that I found until today related to learning programming.
  5. No Profile Picture

Try W3schools

You should try W3 schools!! I started my basic from there..
  7. No Profile Picture

Smile

If you are in the search of free website to learn HTML then W3School is one of the best option, it provides you - WYSIWYG feature to practice it online.

Among them you must also try - html.net, utexas.edu/learn/html/
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by webup247biz
    Google CodeCademy, best website that I found until today related to learning programming.
    codecademy is perhaps one of the worst places to learn I have ever taken part in. They do not cover any of the essentials in web development. In other words, there are no exercises in forms, the DOM, any user input -- other than 'prompt()', divs, etc., etc.

Their exercises are executed in a sandbox, which they call "Labs", and requires exact code in order to pass. So, if you write something like:

for (x = 0; x < 10; x++)

you fail...because the exercise is looking for:

for (x = 0; x < 10; x+1)

For a beginner, I would reommend W3Schools and htmlGoodies.com. Once you know something, the best teacher is a web site you visit a lot. View Source, File-->Save, and play with the code on your computer (with the browser's console open). When you see something you don't understand, ask.
  11. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Instead of going to w3schools, take a look at http://www.w3fools.com/ instead.

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 agrees
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    Instead of going to w3schools, take a look at ... w3fools... instead.
    I see you're an evangelist. While mdn may be a more robust site for serious coders, I seriously doubt if it is appropriate for beginners, especially if they are non-chrome users. Furthermore, many, if not most, of the problems w3fools has had with w3schools have been corrected.
  15. Lord of the Dance

Originally Posted by grassBlade
    I see you're an evangelist. While mdn may be a more robust site for serious coders, I seriously doubt if it is appropriate for beginners, especially if they are non-chrome users. Furthermore, many, if not most, of the problems w3fools has had with w3schools have been corrected.
    My last post may have been a bit too "strict" in writing.

But you are calling one person out of several an evangelist, just for (intending) saying that w3schools may not necessarily be the best place to learn from!

If a site takes money for certifications, why would they not target the serious coders then?
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    My last post may have been a bit too "strict" in writing.

But you are calling one person out of several an evangelist, just for (intending) saying that w3schools may not necessarily be the best place to learn from!

If a site takes money for certifications, why would they not target the serious coders then?
    1) I hit everyone who thinks without thinking.
    2) I take issue with 'blind' recommendations. If you had said "go to MDN", I would have kept quiet ... maybe (mostly because I don't think the site is appropriate for beginners), but you listed a site that does nothing but rant on one page -- without providing any proof for what it says.

I may, or may not, agree that w3schools is the 'best' place to go to...but I do believe it is a good starting point for beginners. Where did you -- and the signees of W3fools begin. and where on the learning curve were you when you discovered MDN?

We all have to remember what a 'beginner' means. MDN is definitely not a site for beginners; it wasn't created for such and it isn't readable for such. Let the 'kids' and 'newbies' learn the way we did... trail and error, head banging, cursing, etc., etc....until they realize they have to ask... And when they do, and you or I believe they know enough... then show the 'way', the 'path' ... the whatever.

Coding is not what Mozilla says it is; it is not what I say it is; it is what works. And for you or I to say otherwise is evangelism...

I didn't recognize any of those names on the site, and I've been coding since the '80s.

Essentially, I'm saying... if you believe someone should go to MDN rather than W3Schools, say so...Don't advertise some site created by wannabes who have nothing to say other than bad mouthing a site and recommending another.

You, if you believe what they say (and have researched W3Schools), can recommend MDN on your own....You don't need their 15 minutes to fame to justify your decision

Regarding the money & certification:
    That's quote the American way endquote....I'm a hippy proud of it and hate the $$$

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees : So much for wannabes who run around badmouthing websites ...
  19. No Profile Picture

@Mr Fujin: I apologize. Just came back from a party and remember a bit too much of the '60s...

If anything I've said offends you, I retract it.

I just believe people should learn anyway they can. If what they learn needs correction, time and experience will help them along the way.
  21. --

If what they learn needs correction, time and experience will help them along the way.
    That's a nice theory, but if you stick around on this site for a while, you'll quickly realize that it doesn't work out. You forget two things: The 80s are over. And not everybody is planning to become a professional programmer and spend many years on a language.

There is no magical self-correction of misknowledge. The people who rarely write code tend to stick to the practices they've learned from w3schools (or similarly bad sources). They're not gonna read through the original specs to find out that w3schools has told them nonsense. It's great that you had 30 years to learn how to do things correctly. But this isn't true for everybody.

Also, who are you to decide that crap info is good enough for beginners? Have you asked them? Personally, I've never met anybody who actively wanted bad information and enjoyed relearning things. Quite the opposite. People usually want good information so that they can achieve their goals as quickly as possible.

Secondly, the good old times of "Let's put some stuff online and see what happens" are over. If you do that today, your server may very well end up as a member of some botnet. So writing correct and secure code is not just nice to have. It's necessary. Insecure practices like the ones taught by w3schools cause real damage.

Long story short: No, w3schools is not a legitimate source. No, it's not even "good enough for beginners". You'll actually encounter this stance in most communities, not only here.

No, we're not doing this because we somehow don't like w3schools. We're doing it because w3schools spreads nonsense and promotes harmful practices. The "wannabes from w3fools" actually used to maintain a long list of errors, but for some reason they took it down. However, you can easily find the problems yourself. Just look at the MySQL tutorial, for example. This code is simply malware. Putting it on a server will create a backdoor to the database system.

It's true that MDN isn't very user-friendly and that the professional sources generally don't have the appeal and in-your-face popularity of w3schools. That doesn't make w3schools acceptable. It means we have to look for other sources or write tutorials ourselves.

Comments on this post

• Strider64 agrees
    Last edited by Jacques1; December 21st, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  23. Lord of the Dance

@Mr Fujin: I apologize. Just came back from a party and remember a bit too much of the '60s...

If anything I've said offends you, I retract it.

I just believe people should learn anyway they can. If what they learn needs correction, time and experience will help them along the way.
    I did see your points; I just wanted to say that "blind recommendations" can be done in both direction.
    For example, how many recommend w3schools only because they don't know other places? (mostly ment as a rhetorical questions)

But I think Jacques1 more or less summed up what I was trying to tell.

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    The "wannabes from w3fools" actually used to maintain a long list of errors, but for some reason they took it down.
    With some rethinking, maybe this is were w3fools has got a lesser advantages.

If it only say "w3schools is bad, use those sites instead ..", new user will not see why they should do that and maybe just stick to w3schools because they feel it is more more user friendly and simpler.
  25. No Profile Picture

I too have found W3School very useful in learning HTML. Apart from being free it also offers WYSIWYG feature for you to practice online.

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees
  27. Contributing User

I think W3 School is the ultimate website to learn HTML. They teach from the very beginning to make you a master in HTML coding.

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 disagrees : Sometimes it's so hard to distinguish between a spam bot and a human showing pure ignorance.
  29. --

*sigh*

Here come the spammers again.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo