1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I need an area to try things out

Hi everyone,

I know it has been over a decade since I last did something with webdesign and programming. (a.k.a: I still used the Angelfire free service in the beginning. ^^)

Now I realize I will have to start from scratch. Basically all I want is a site/area where I can mess around, test codes etc. I have tried searching for one, but I got the feeling I found those fake free sites only.

Could one of you please recommend a free site where I can mess around as I try to take my first steps in html and css again?

Thank you very much.

Vegejor
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Unless you want to make it available to everybody on the Internet, set up a web server at home. If you go the open-source path there's bundles like WAMP and XAMPP which include pretty much all the software you need.
  5. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

For HTML and CSS you can just open your preferred code editor and browser and start "messing around".
    No other fancy services/programs are needed for this.

It's when you want to start with server-side coding and/or database access you will need a web service. For this, it is possible to download Apache and install on your own system.

You will only need a hosting provider if you want to make something published on the web to others.

That said, there is nothing wrong if you do find a free site and try to mess around on that place.
  7. No Profile Picture

I think w3schools has what you are looking for, an online editor that displays the source code on the left and the result on the right. They also have tutorials.
  9. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

If you want to try with an online editor, you can try take a look at http://jsfiddle.net.
    You can try to look at alternative code editors

Will not start another flamewar again, so someone else must comment the reference to w3schools if needed
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

w3schools, ya, I've heard of them. I was trying to be polite n keep my mouth shut since there's nothing good to say...

If u want a basic free host just for learning/testing, I can offer you some room, if you wish.

As far as editors, I favor PSPad, and a buddy of mine favors Notepad++.
    He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
  13. No Profile Picture

You can use XAMPP for development.
    Notepad++.
    Navicat for MySQL managment.
  15. No Profile Picture

why not try a test page with your own domain?

Comments on this post

• MrFujin disagrees : Buying your own domain is not necessary, if you only want to mess around wiht testing some code

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo