1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Post Need to make some decisions: HTML5 canvas + JavaScript vs Flash

Hello there,

This is my first post on this forum but I have been lurking around for a while so please move this to the approopriate section if it is misplaced.

I would like to write an interactive 'app' (can't find a better word) that would be embedded into a website. It will allow the user to manipulate images in order to modify items of clothing. An example of this can be seen (sorry can't post links) if you google 'zazzle', click 'create' and pick e.g. men's clothing and select an item and click 'customise it.

By the look of it, I am faced with a decision to make: Should I use The HTML5 canvas tag paired with JavaScript or use Flash? I am leaning towards canvas due to the fact it seems to be the most future proof and more powerful option as well as the fact it can be used on mobile browsers however Flash does offer a slightly faster development speed from my limited experience, especially when it comes to animation. This project will feature animations and possibly a little 3D. What do you think of the issue of compatibility when it comes to canvas? Should I be worried about it?

When it comes to the canvas tag, is there any way to export numbers and not just a screenshot of the screen?

Thank you for taking the time to read this
  3. No Profile Picture

It seems that you have seen this done somewhere before. I would also lean to javascript because mobile devices do not support flash. If I were you, I would find an example of what you are seeking and try to do something similar in the code. Post should be in Javascript if that is what you want.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Although I've never made such a graphically intensive app, I would recommend canvas, the reason being flash support on mobile device's isn't so strong, and flash in general seems to slowly be fading out.
    http://kawaii-nation.com (^._.^)ノ

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo