1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Is this the right way of making multi step forms?

Hello;

I have a big campaign coming up with paid traffic so I want to make sure the way I am setting this up is proper and I don't lose leads because of the bad practise.

Basically I want this to work on every device and since I don't have the best testing tools, I can't confirm that.

I am using Bootstrap and Javascript.

I appreciate if you give test it on your device or browser and confirm you can submit it sweet.

It's here

Many thanks.

ALSO;

What are your thoughts on php validation? There is already Bootstrap and Jquery validation. And since the whole form works with JS, I think there is no point for PHP validation (Without JS they can;t even fill the form really).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by English Breakfast Tea; November 8th, 2017 at 11:18 PM.
  3. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 2nd Plane (6000 - 6499 posts)

Originally Posted by English Breakfast Tea
    What are your thoughts on php validation? There is already Bootstrap and Jquery validation. And since the whole form works with JS, I think there is no point for PHP validation.
    Always do validation server side. Your javascript validation is always a secondary consideration, add it to improve the UX but never rely on it.

Validating isn't only about making sure Joe Schmoe doesn't skip a field, it's also about preventing Jane Hacker from wrecking your stuff through invalid submissions. Jane Hacker can submit your form without going through your JS validation easily meaning your only line of defense is whatever server-side validation you have.

As far as mobile testing, use whatever devices you have and your browser's mobile mode (in chrome/firefox, F12 then CTRL+SHIFT+M). The browser's mobile mode works pretty well for determining if your site layout works well. Testing on a device helps check that your scripting/css works as expected. caniuse.com is helpful for checking what you can rely on and what you can't.

(Without JS they can;t even fill the form really)
    This is a problem if your goal is to maximize your audience. Fix it. If JS is not available either show your entire form in sections and include a standard submit button at the end or include a submit each section to the server to and advance to the next.
    Recycle your old CD's

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  5. Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by English Breakfast Tea
    What are your thoughts on php validation? There is already Bootstrap and Jquery validation. And since the whole form works with JS, I think there is no point for PHP validation (Without JS they can;t even fill the form really).
    These only help to ensure that user with JS enabled won't be able to skip some fields and/or enter invalid data. But that doesn't help much. In other words, send me a link to your form, and I will successfully submit all the crappy values (like text "some random string" into date field, complete MySQL query into phone field, and so on) to your form.

To sum up, what you are saying with there is no point for PHP validation (Without JS they can;t even fill the form really), translates into I can leave backdoor and all the windows of my house unlocked and opened because without a key to front door burglar won't be able to enter my house. Hope that makes some sense...
  7. A Change of Season
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Hey guys;

I had 3000 opt ins. All clean data.

Not even 1 without JS!

Thanks
  9. Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

That's good, of course. However, your form is very vulnerable in this scenario, but the final choice is up to you. If data you collect via this form is not very valuable, you can continue using JS validation only, but keep in mind that it *might* be exploited one day. Anyways, god luck with your new campaign.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo