1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Access to Inetpub/wwwroot

Our windows domain consists of a Domain Server running SBS2008 and a number of workstations running XP. One of these stations is the webserver. I need some domain users to be able to drop files into webroot so that webusers can view them but they are blocked by lack of permission to write. As the Domain Administrator, I gave one of the users full control of Inetpub/wwwroot yet that user still cannot write to that folder. What am I missing?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Double-check the folder permissions is the best I can say. What mechanism are you using to copy the files? If you're just copying over your network you shouldn't have any problems if the permissions are set properly. If you're using some kind of file upload code in the web page keep in mind the web server may be operating in a different user context that the client.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Doug G, thanks for that. The copy method is file explorer via a mapped network drive. I'll re-check the folder permissions and get back to you.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

OK, when I look at the folder and right-click on properties, the folder is shared but the user isn't listed in share permissions! I guess that's the issue - I had added the user under the security tab.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Are your workstations all xp pro and members of the domain? If not they may be configured to run networking with 'simple file sharing' which uses a guest account for all network access rather than setting acl's for each user. On my domain if I add a user under the security tab for a folder that's good for network access too.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

All workstations are XP Pro and members of the domain.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo