1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Accessing IIS 7 server installed on Windows Vista from a Windows 7 computer

Hi:

I have IIS 7 installed on a Windows Vista (Business Edition) pc and I want to be able to access the sites on this server from a Windows 7 pc. I type this in address bar 192.x.x.x The connection times out. I have several sites installed on the IIS server at different port numbers. I also tried to specify the port number like this 192.x.x.x:84. I got the same problem. What is the correct way to specify the location of the site?

Since I was able to set-up a remote desktop to that pc, I am assuming that it is visible from the network. What else do I need to be able to access the IIS server? Are there specific settings on the firewall? How to I specify them? I have Windows Security Essentials installed on that Vista computer. Does that have an effect?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You appear to be using the proper syntax to access your IIS server on an alternate port. You need to make sure the port is open through any firewalls and/or security programs on the IIS machine, and through any routers between the two machines (if there are any). There shouldn't be anything you need to do special on the windows 7 machine.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Opened port and site not accessible

I opened to the Windows 7 pc, ip address 192.x.x.7pc, the port where the web site is located. I did that with the instructions on this page.

windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Open-a-port-in-Windows-Firewall

I requested a TCP port, then clicked change scope to provide the ip addresses for the pc, 192.x.x.7pc. That did not seem to fix the problem. I also added the address for the wireless router. That did not help either.

Is there anything else I should do?
  7. No Profile Picture

Works now!

Originally Posted by Doug G
    You appear to be using the proper syntax to access your IIS server on an alternate port. You need to make sure the port is open through any firewalls and/or security programs on the IIS machine, and through any routers between the two machines (if there are any). There shouldn't be anything you need to do special on the windows 7 machine.
    Thanks Doug. The page did provide the right information for opening the port. Now it works. At first, I modifed a port definition with the instructions. When I delete that port and did the steps again with a new port, it worked.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm glad you got it functioning. I run across port opening problems a lot, I seem to have clients who have multiple firewall software running, open a port and the application still doesn't work because the other firewall is still blocking.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo