1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Basic auth and object permissions

I've got an issue and it is one of those where I'm not even sure how to ask the question.

We have a web site the uses basic authentication through IIS 7 (Windows 2007 server SP2) and everything works fine except for a com object. The object is "easyPDF.PDFProcessor.7" in case anyone knows of it.

The problem is that when I authenticate using regular user credentials this object throws an error 2147155963 and fails with the message "unable to open output file". I'm sure the message and error are specific to the object but it points to a permissions issue.

However, if I login using my admin credentials there is no problem and the process runs perfectly. I can't even seem to phrase a search correctly to find out how the login credentials affect the permissions of the object.

I have the directory in question set so that "everyone", "authenticated users", the user created for the object itself (which is also in the admin group), "users", and "IIS_IUSRS" all have full control.

I really have no idea what to even look at from here. IF anyone can shed any light on it or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

thanks

Dave
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

IIS should be using your pdf object as either the anonymous IIS user, or if before calling the object your user authenticated to IIS, then IIS should use that authenticated user account.

Two more possible permissions gotcha's: My first try would be to make sure the IIS user account(s) have write permissions on the windows %TEMP% directory. It seems likely that a pdf creator would need to write temp files.

Another unlikely culprit could be some missing permissions inside the system registry pertaining to the pdf object.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

temp directory did it

Originally Posted by Doug G

Two more possible permissions gotcha's: My first try would be to make sure the IIS user account(s) have write permissions on the windows %TEMP% directory. It seems likely that a pdf creator would need to write temp files.
    It was the temp directory!! I thought I'd checked it previously, but it might have been my user temp, either way, I added authenticated users to it and it works!

Thanks Doug!!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm glad you got it going ..
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo