1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can't install a web site on IIS 6

Hi, I have a .msi package with a web site inside, this web is asp.net based. In W2K - IIS5 it was installed without problems, what does the package is install in wwwroot a new virtual folder(NewWebSite) and copies the files on C:\inetpub\wwwroot\NewWebSite too.

Now on IIS 6, I execute the msi file, makes the install (on the explorer, refreshing fast I see how it's creating the folders and copying all the files inside), when copy finishes the installer makes a rollback(the progress bar goes from the end to the beginning) and deletes the files, telling finally that the installation has been complete.

I tried different combinations on IIS, more permissions, alowing everyting on service extensions, I don't see IIS log errors nor windows installer errors.

Any idea?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Is your IIS6 working properly otherwise?
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes, I can access to the web pages with IE normally and create asp.net projects in vs.net which creates on IIS the project
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Sounds like a problem with the installer, you could check with the software vendor I guess.

You are logged in as a local administrator when you are installing the package?
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your time Doug, yes seems it was a installer issue, don't know why, maybe incompatibility between W2K package and W2003 package?
    I finally found a way, if somebody has the same problem, what I did instead exec the package was use command line parameters in msi.
    'msiexec -a filename.msi' that way installs it in a "administrative way"
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Thanks for the follow-up.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo