1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can't Get Rid of Login Popup

I've been all over the forums but haven't found a situation just like mine yet. I'm developing a simple web app with .NET 3.0 using IIS 6.0. I've turned off anonymous authentication and selected Integrated Windows Authentication. I have created a user group with full permissions for the application folder, but every time I access a page I get a pop-up box requesting a username and password. I am connecting to the site from a remote computer and can usually see the content of the page behind the pop-up, complete with all my CSS styles. I've designed the page to show my username and tell me whether I am a member of the user group that has access. When I load the page my username is displayed and it confirms I am a member of the group, yet the login box still pops up.

I've tried entering my username and password into the box, but it is always rejected. Sometimes it asks me 3 times before displaying an error, and sometimes it never displays an error. I've tried clicking the cancel button and sometimes the box just goes away, but most of the time I get an error page. Sometimes if I refresh the page I still get the login box, and I can still see my page's content, but my CSS styles are missing. All in all the behavior seems really inconsistent. The error message I am getting when I click cancel is:

HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

Has anyone ever run into a similar problem or have any idea what might be the cause? I've given permissions to pretty much every folder and in every place in IIS that I can find but the problem still persists. I've also added the site to my local intranet trusted sites in IE. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello,

How did you deploy your site? You should give read permissions to the local users group.

Regards
    http://www.windowshostingasp.net/ - Free ASP.NET Web hosting resources and information.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by HostingASPNet
    Hello,

How did you deploy your site? You should give read permissions to the local users group.

Regards
    Hi, thanks for responding. I've currently given permissions to the local group that all my users belong to. To be sure I didn't miss something I've probably given them a lot more permissions than they would need at the moment, but the pop-up is still there.

All I'm doing to deploy the site is placing the aspx pages and their dll's in the appropriate location in our inetpub folder on the server. I can see the pages fine the first time I try to access the site, but I still get the pop-up box in front of it.
  7. No Profile Picture

Possible Resolution

Strange, but I believe I've fixed the problem. Our company uses IE 6. When I tried it on a terminal running IE 7 it worked fine, as well as with firefox (although you had to log in initially). I'll try upgrading and see if that fixes it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo