1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Changed server name; now website inaccessable

Hello,

We have a website being hosted by IIS 7 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine. We just changed the server name and now the website cannot be accessed.

I've researched this problem and came across this website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234142. It tells me that I need to update the "Internet Information Server snap-in for the Microsoft Management Console (MMC)" and the "Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS) packages that run in a separate memory space (isolated process)". For the first of these items, it tells me that I only need to update the snap-in if no computer name is displayed in the IIS scope, but the new computer name IS displayed there and so I'm assuming this update is not needed. The second of these items, however, seems to be needed.

However, the location where it tells me I should find the isolated process MTS packages is not there in my version of IIS 7 (at least I don't see it). Furthermore, the following wikipedia article tells me that in Windows Server 2008, MTS has been replaced by COM+:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Transaction_Server

But I can't find anything about where to find COM+ in IIS 7 either.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem? It would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You should have looked at the "applies to" in the KB article you quoted. It's for IIS4.0 which shipped only with windows NT 4.0.

I don't know the answer for you, but make sure you refer to IIS7 specific information in your searches, IIS has changed quite a bit over the years.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  5. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Is this an internal website by chance, such as an intranet page?
    Codeinated
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi,

We just changed the server name and now the website cannot be accessed.
    By means of change in server name, I suppose you have changed server hostname.

Change in hostname should not affect your web site in any way.

hostname basically used at the time of formation of default IUSR so I would suggest you to check if IUSR have necessary permissions over your web root.

Can you please let us know exactly what error does your web site is throwing ?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo