1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DTC Setup Error while installing IIS

Greetings all,
    There was a post with this same problem in 2009 with one response.
    Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator
    So first and formost I will say that I am.

I installed XP Pro in a VM on a Win7 machine using Windows Virtual PC. Over all everything went fine. Installed SP3 and ran all 49 updates. So far so good. Now, when I attempt to install IIS I get the following error.
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator Setup Error
    Code:
    Sub-component Distributed Transaction Coordinator raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message.
    d:\xpsp\com\com1x\dtc\ntdtcsetup\src\csetuputil.cpp (line 2748)
    Error Code = 0X80004005 

Unspecified error
    Failed to execute function 'DllRegisterServer()' in
    'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mtxoci.dll'.
    This is what I have done thus far. I have gone into services and verified COM and DCom are enabled.
    I then went into my system32 folder, deleted the mtxoci.dll file and then went in and copied the MTXOCI.DL_ file from the XP CD and expanded it to the system32 folder in hopes of putting a fresh MTXOCI.DLL file in the folder. That did not work. Received the same error when attempting to install IIS.
    Now once I recieve this error and I select "OK" it continues with the IIS install, and gives the message "You have succesfully completed the Windows Components Wizard"
    When I verify IIS, it's not working.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

All the best,

Ian

**Added Info - I have 2 VM's running on this machine. I have installed IIS on both of them numerous times. Recently there was a change to our Application to which I installed it on this VM (with IIS installed) and was running into some problems. Our DEV team suggested due to numerous installs and uninstalls of the data base and application to re-install Windows on the VM and re-install the application. I ended wiping out the VM and created a new one with no problem and installed Win XP Pro again. So I am thinking this may have something to do with the install. My co-worker installed with the same CD and is not running into this problem.
    Last edited by ichase; January 5th, 2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added info
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Make sure you're installing IIS under a local administrator user account.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Greetings all,
    There was a post with this same problem in 2009 with one response.
    Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator

So first and formost I will say that I am.
    The above is from my original post.

Matter of fact, if memory serves me correctly, the one response that stated that you must be logged in as an Administrator on that post I referenced was from you Doug. As you will see, I am logged in as the Administrator.

All the best,

Ian
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

As you will see, I am logged in as the Administrator.
    No, I can't see that, only you can. If you're in fact using an account that's a local administrator then I guess something else is wrong in your setup, and I don't know what, sorry.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

I should have chose my words a little different. What I meant to say was, that my OP said that I was logged in as an Administrator.
    I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to the post. I am now doing a fresh install of XP Pro on the VM in hopes that this fixes the problem. Keeping fingers crossed.

All the best,

Ian
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Sorry I can't be of more help, I haven't used IIS much since IIS5 and never on a VM. One common cause for a lot of IIS problems is some permission setting that's wrong somewhere.

One other thought, make sure that 'simple file sharing' is turned off on your XP. You can find the setting in the view options of windows explorer. Simple file sharing pretty much turns off ACL permission support as far as I know.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture

Just wanted to get on here and mention that after I performed a fresh re-install of XP Pro and performed all of my updates (including SP3), I was able to get IIS installed with no problem.
    I used a different disk, so there is a good posibility that the first disk may have had a corrupted file. Who knows.
    Consider this post as {Solved}

All the best,

Ian
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Thanks for posting the update.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo