1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with IIS application location

This is my first post so please bear with me if I'm in the wrong place.

We had someone who was working for us on a IIS application project using ASP language. He is no longer working for us and we are trying to find out the location of that application code on the laptop he was working on.

The name of the application is http://localhost/Gadima

Anyone with IIS basic knowledge could tell us please where the application code could be located? The laptop is running on Windows XP pro.

Thank you for your help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Open the IIS manager and navigate to that virtual directory. Look at the properties of the virtual directory, that should tell you the physical disk path to the files.

You'll find the IIS manager in your Control Panel - Administrative Tools
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Open the IIS manager and navigate to that virtual directory. Look at the properties of the virtual directory, that should tell you the physical disk path to the files.

You'll find the IIS manager in your Control Panel - Administrative Tools
    I`m not really an IIS guru but is it possible for me to look somewhere on the c drive for a place where these kind of applications are usually located and recover the ASP files.

Comments on this post

• Kristen agrees
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if they are asp files, have you tried just using windows search and looking for everything with a .asp extension?

test it with a .txt to make sure you are doing it right, you definately have text files on your pc.

most likely you can look for your files in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Gadima
    if its IIS

Comments on this post

• Kristen agrees
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I`m not really an IIS guru but is it possible for me to look somewhere on the c drive for a place where these kind of applications are usually located and recover the ASP files
    That was Doug G's point - looking in the IIS Manager will tell you explicitly where the files are kept, and also if there are any Virtual Folders where additional files are being kept - if there are any Virtual Folders they may be nowhere near the main folder.

Doing a file search for *.ASP is good too, but you may find lots of different versions in different places, which may only confuse matters - hopefully not though!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo