1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hosting through dial-up connection

IIS newbie here, help...

I want to host my personal website through dial-up connection. I'm using Windows XP Pro and IIS 5.01. I can access my website through my IP, ex. http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx. I asked my friend/s to try to view it and it's not displaying.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Some ISP's block incoming port 80, or your firewall is blocking port 80, or you tested with a different IP than the external IP you got from your dialup connection. Typically you get a different IP each time you dial in.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

THanks for the reply. Yeah, I check first my IP after before I tell it to my friends. Though I haven't tried opening port 80. Im using the built-in firewall in XP. I'll check on that later.. Or it is because we only have downstream (not enough speed for upstream??) Thanks "Doug G".
  7. Contributing User

yea, dial-up connection works on Dynamic IP, that means its changes each time you dial-up.
    to host a site from your pc you should have a static IP, means always the same IP,
    hope this helps

-stagy
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks stage_watchman. I agree on that that dial-up works on dynamic IP.

What I do is I check first my IP and then tell it to others. So I believe it doesnt matter if its dynamic or not; as long as you know your IP it's fine. Correct me if im wrong... THanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo