1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IIS 6 with CGI --> Web Service Extension

Hello.

I am running a python application under IIS 6.0 which requires that CGI extensions be enabled. Rather than enable all "unknown" CGI extensions I would like to create a specific web service extension for python.

The required path to Python for my web application to work is: C:\python\python.exe %s %s

The issue is that the interface for adding a new web service extension under IIS 6 does not accept the switches...and I have tried many permutations of quotes/single quotes to handle this.

Anyone have a clue?
  3. No Profile Picture

resolved

This was a really tough tone. I thought I would offer the solution in case anyone else had this problem.

The web service had to be created using a dos shell, the syntax of which is:

iisext /AddFile "path including %s%s" 0 [web service name] 1 [webservice name] 1 [web service name]

good luck

Jeff Hamilton
    Webfoot Software Solutions LLC

Originally Posted by Webfoot
    Hello.

I am running a python application under IIS 6.0 which requires that CGI extensions be enabled. Rather than enable all "unknown" CGI extensions I would like to create a specific web service extension for python.

The required path to Python for my web application to work is: C:\python\python.exe %s %s

The issue is that the interface for adding a new web service extension under IIS 6 does not accept the switches...and I have tried many permutations of quotes/single quotes to handle this.

Anyone have a clue?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Thanks for posting the solution.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Webfoot
    This was a really tough tone. I thought I would offer the solution in case anyone else had this problem.

The web service had to be created using a dos shell, the syntax of which is:

iisext /AddFile "path including %s%s" 0 [web service name] 1 [webservice name] 1 [web service name]

good luck

Jeff Hamilton
    Webfoot Software Solutions LLC
    We just ran in to this today. I'm trying your solution now but when I run it under DOS I get a message saying that WScript can't run the command. If I try to run it from the command prompt it tells me that it can't find iisext. Any thoughts?
    "Once begun, half done." - EP

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo