1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IIS 7 rewrite stopped working locally

I'm not a programmer, but I managed to use the IIS rewrite tool to take out the .aspx extension on my pages. I don't know if this has any benefit, but as a result, I point my hyperlinks to, for instance, "contact" instead of "contact.aspx" (I just figure end users would find it easier to remember).

Anyway, I downloaded some things for Visual Studio 2010, and they didn't appear to alter my web.config or global.asax, but although my hyperlinks (to the rewrote urls) work fine on the website, they don't work fine locally.

Is this an issue I should care about? If so, does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Jason Weber
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi Jason,

Thats correct, contact is much more easier to remember than contact.aspx and its much more user friendly

as your URL's are working on server that means asp.net rewrite module is present on the server where as if its not working on your local machine then make sure you have asp.net rewrite module installed on local machine

Additionally I would suggest you to consider ISAPI Rewrite which is one of the widely used rewrite tool and you can generate any form of URLs with the help of, you have to just design a rule for it and place it in to .htaccess file
  5. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Thank you!

Originally Posted by StormInternet
    Hi Jason,

Thats correct, contact is much more easier to remember than contact.aspx and its much more user friendly

as your URL's are working on server that means asp.net rewrite module is present on the server where as if its not working on your local machine then make sure you have asp.net rewrite module installed on local machine

Additionally I would suggest you to consider ISAPI Rewrite which is one of the widely used rewrite tool and you can generate any form of URLs with the help of, you have to just design a rule for it and place it in to .htaccess file
    Hey, thank you for that information, Storm! I feel quite dumb right now. I just bought a new computer w/ Windows 7, and I didn't realize that I had to install the rewrite tool locally as well. I've never claimed to be the most intelligent person around. But thank you for enlightening me, and another thank you for turning me on to the ISAPI rewrite tool. I'm going to check it out as soon as I click 'send' on here. The only thing is that I'm using Visual Studio (asp.net 4.0) on a Windows server, so I'm not sure if it'll work if it requires an .htaccess, but I'm going to check it out! Thanks again for taking the time to respond!
  7. No Profile Picture

Hello Jason,

Np at all
    Let me know if you need any assistance in ISAPI Rewrite rules, would be glad to assist further

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo