Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IIS 8.5 Website Page cannot be displayed problems

I'm trying to setup a site on my IIS 8.5. We moved onto Essentials 2012R2 from SBS2008 and the site was working fine on SBS. Every time I browse to http://www.mywebsite.com or mywebsite.com (I've changed the name here, but have it correct on the server) I get a timeout page - "This page cannot be displayed" error.

Here's what I've done thus far:

I've bound it to the IP of the server and http port 80. created a individual bindings for www.mywebsite.com and mywebsite.com

Tried putting the content in the wwwroot folder and in another folder on the server and pointing the default document to index.html (pointed the site to the correct folder each time in IIS).

Given Everyone and IIS_Users default file access permissions

I've stopped every other website on the server.

I turned off the firewall, but the correct ports are open and it made no difference, so I turned it back on.

DNS resovles to www.mywebsite.com and mywebsite.com both internally and externally. Verified with nslookup and used our internal DNS server and google's (8.8.8.8).

My router is configured to port forward port 80, with the correct IP.

In IE if I browse to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\index.html I can see the website.

SSL is not required (can not be turned on as as I have no https bindings)

Under Authentication, Anonymous Authentication is Enabled.

I tried going to http://192.168.0.249 and I get the same "this page cannot be displayed" page.

This is where my newb status shows: how do I enable logging in IIS so that I can figure out why I can't get this site running?

Is there anything else anyone can think of to get this up and running?

Help would be appreciated - thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Let's start with your internal network first. What happens if you attempt to telnet into the server running IIS on port 80? For example, try telnet>open 192.168.1.1 80. Note there is a space between the word open and after 1.1.

If it resolves to a blank screen with a blinking cursor that means traffic is getting through on port 80. If it fails to connect then traffic is not getting through on port 80.

You could also run netstat and see if the server is listening for requests on that port. You aren't a newb, a lot of your steps are what any other person would try.
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm a newb when it comes to IIS... I'm an Active Directory/SCCM admin in my day job (but never really work with or troubleshoot IIS)

when I telnet to the server ip (192.168.0.249) I don't get a connection.

Does it matter that I don't have the telnet server feature installed on the server (I would think it does).

(Thanks for the Netstat reminder - forgot about that one) Netstat shows that port 80 is not listening. I've applied all the updates and restarted the computer and I'll see where that goes.

I should note that I did delete the bindings for port 80 on the default website. I've restarted IIS but never a full restart (until right now)
  7. No Profile Picture

Rebooting the server fixed the binding problem. Port 80 is now listening on the server and internally the site works fine.

Externally I can connect to the secure site (remote access, port 443) but not to port 80. DNS is not the problem here as I can resolve the domain name and www. (also by the fact that I can connect to the https).

NAT on the router is setup to the correct IP and listening on 80. (I've rebooted the router/firewall just to be sure though and I'm waiting for it to come up)

Are there any permissions that would deny external users (anonymous) access to IIS?

Thanks again.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you don't restart the World Wide Web Publishing Service (I think that's what it's called) the bindings probably won't take when you change them....IIRC. I'm not an IIS guru either; just broke sites enough that sometimes I can fix them lol.

You don't need to have the telnet server installed on the IIS server; just the telnet client on the machine you're using to remote into the IIS server.
    However, if you can now access the site internally then all is fine in that regard.

If you Google "Shields Up" it should show you a site for Gibson Research. Run an external probe on port 80 just to verify traffic can actually get there. You can also PM me your public IP if you want and I can test it for you if you can't get Gibson to work (though it's very simple).

If Shields Up comes back good, then I would check out MS's IIS stuff to see what security level you need to set on the wwwroot folder. I think you have to allow "everyone" read access, but I'm not 100% confident on that. Let me us know what you find out.
  11. No Profile Picture

Sheilds up shows that it can get to 443 but not to 80. If I change the nat/port forward on my router so that all requests coming in port 80 are redirected to port 443, it shows open. so I changed the port redirect straight through to port 80 and it fails.

I also tried the following:
    added a binding for the website to port 3443 (old Blackberry Management port) and restarted IIS. Netstat shows that the server is listening on port 3443, and I can browse to the server:3443 and get the website internally.

When I try it from an external site (where I'm at) it fails.

I know this really sounds like a router problem, but I'm seeing traffic pass through the router on port 80 and hit the server (on port 80), and (as per my previous notes) I've demonstrated that my port forward is configured correctly. I will verify with a packet capture after I finish downloading wireshark.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Keep in mind you have to allow port 80 on your firewall between the internet and your lan. Just setting up Nat alone isn't enough.
  15. No Profile Picture

Wireshark is showing traffic from the router - this is an IIS config problem....and I'm about to pull out what little hair I have left!
  17. No Profile Picture

The router and firewall are the same device. I have the port opened and am using a direct NAT on the port. The ironic thin is that nothing has changed on the router - I just rebuilt the server from 2008SBS to 2012 R2 Essentials.

I just did a packet capture and i'm getting requests on port 80 (from the server, from an external request) and ack packets back to the request - but no IIS page is served.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seack79
    You can also PM me your public IP if you want and I can test it for you if you can't get Gibson to work (though it's very simple).
    I'm a new member and not able to PM. if you are able to PM please contact me and I'll respond and send you the information.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That is strange. PM sent. I won't be around until tomorrow though. Sounds a lot like an IIS issue.
    Last edited by seack79; November 14th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It sounds to me more like your internet provider has restricted port 80 on your internet connection. You could try configuring IIS to listen on some alternate port, change the port forward in your router and see if anything works that way.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    It sounds to me more like your internet provider has restricted port 80 on your internet connection. You could try configuring IIS to listen on some alternate port, change the port forward in your router and see if anything works that way.
    See my previous post Doug - the only change here was server 2012 R2 installation. it worked on the old server; I tried port 79, 81, 82, and 3443, (all unsuccessful so we can rule out that)
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Got the email, please remove it.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Did you get this resolved?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo